Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Oebur
Sean

Kerdi Shower Pan Question

I finally gutted my Master Bath and plan on doing away with the tub/shower combo and just having a nice shower. I'm going to use the 32"x60" tray w/offset drain but I may want to push the width to 36". Any problem with adding the extra 4" in width by splitting it between both sides? I figured that I could pack the 2" on each side with deck mud, using the kerdi as a screed so the slope would still follow, even though it would be very slight. Does this seem like a doable situation or would any of you recommend against it? I could always just do my own pan if you think that would be better? Thanks in advance for any info/knowledge.

"Homer, I don't mind if you pee in the shower, but only if your taking a shower!!"
Oebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Sean,

You can certainly do that. It will have the effect of making those 2 edges higher than the rest of the edges, if that matters to you. Most Pro's prefer a perfectly level perimeter, no matter the shape of the shower.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Oebur
Sean

I know the sides will be a bit higher than the other ends, but it should be pretty marginal, and I'll cut all of my first row wall tiles accordingly to keep things level. Any other material that I could use, other than deck mud, for the build up around the edges? Once it gets the kerdi would it matter?

"Homer, I don't mind if you pee in the shower, but only if your taking a shower!!"
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Deck mud is optimal, but you can use straight sand mix or concrete if one bag will fill the area complete. Don't use thinset.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Jayme568

No problem in doing that. I extend the preformed pans out all the time with deck mud. Your increased heights on the ends will be marginal, so as long as you aren't starting with a full tile off the floor, you'll be fine, and the finished product will still look good.
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Oebur
Sean

Curbless Shower Questions..

I'm redoing my bathroom using the 32"x60" offset drain Kerdi system. The previous owner "bumped" out the exterior wall to allow for a shower/tub surround to be installed. Which gives me a nice 32"x60" space to work with. After pulling up the subfloor and decking, both 3/4", I realized that I have the opportunity to go curbless perhaps??

Since the floor joists at the "bumped out" area run perpendicular to the rest of the house I figure I can shave them down, as well as sister up new ones to strengthen everything. There span is less than 4' because of the direction. I will also add extra joists just because I'd like to beef things up while I'm in their. I believe my Kerdi pan will be 1 1/2" at the outside edge, so I can cut the 2x6's to 4 1/4" and they will plane out with the other flooring once my 1/4" Hardibacker is installed onto the Bathroom floor. Has anyone done anything similar, or have any comments?

Also, the shower will have a "pony wall" on the left side that has an undetermined height as of yet, although probably starting at 6' and tapering to the doorway opening, kind of like John's project in his new book. Is there a lot of water that splashes out in anyones experience? Is it necessary to maybe slope the last 12"-18" of the bath floor towards the shower as well? Maybe even run some of the Kerdi out onto the floor?

I've included a picture of the floor framing. The shower drain will be on your left. I will eventually open up more of the floor so i can get to my 5' width. This idea just came up so I initially had only opened what was necessary. Hopefully I've explained things clearly, let me know if any other info would help. Thanks!!
Attached Images

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sean, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like.

Lot of considerations before you jump into that.

Are you in a code compliance jurisdiction? Have you discussed this project with your compliance inspector?

There is a code requirement that the shower curb or threshold be at least two inches above the shower drain. You'll not meet that.

You can frequently get around that if you're building an "accessible" shower under the ADA, but that requires a lot of other considerations that you may or may not meet. We'd need to see a lot more of your floor plan to even comment on any of that.

If you can adequately frame the dropped area to accommodate a tile floor with an adequate slope, what you're planning can certainly be done. Waterproofing it out onto the bathroom floor will be required, but there are easy enough ways to do that, too.

Sloping the bathroom floor into the shower can only be done if you plan a doorless entry. I don't see anything about your plan for that.

If you plan no glass or other barrier above your partial wall, I would want it at least as tall as your shower head supply pipe.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Oebur
Sean

Thanks for the input, and for putting the posts together. I'm sure it helps to consolidate things with the amount of traffic you guys get. My initial post is now void since I'm not going to extend the pan at all. Not sure how to delete it.

I don't plan on having a door on the shower so sounds like sloping the main floor towards the shower would be a good idea as a precautionary measure. Just not sure where exactly to start/stop that since I'll have the half wall with toilet right next to it. Maybe just at what will essentially be my doorway opening? Especially if I frame the half wall with 2x6, it would give a bit more width for the slope. What would be the best material to use for that do you think? Also, could I just stop the 1/4" Hardibacker at the beginning of the slope and go down from there. I'd plan on reinforcing that area with mesh tape.

I like your idea about having glass on the top portion of my half wall. Light would still get through, but the water spray would stay put.

Unread 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you're serious about that design, I would not use Hardibacker on the bathroom floor at all, I'd use Schluter's Ditra so I could simply overlap the Ditra and Kerdi shower floor with a strip of Kerdi Band and the entire approach to the shower would be protected.

Sloping the floor is up to you. I've built a good number of doorless showers and have never sloped a bathroom floor. Entry opening size and placement and shower head placement are important considerations.

How about your code requirements?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Oebur
Sean

I wasn't sure if Ditra was OK for wood subfloors? Although, now that I think about it, maybe that was if they were particle board, I have 2 layers of 3/4" OSB. Otherwise, I love the idea of Ditra going right up to the Kerdi at the shower entry. I've thought about the shower head placement quite a bit because I'm sure it matters in my case. As of right now I've got a pretty standard setup, and i'd like to try it out. If to much water seems to be getting out, I may switch the head to something with more of a gooseneck/rain head type so the water shoots straighter down. Any input on what you may have done differently?

As far as the code goes, i already went downtown and spoke with my inspector, he's going to allow me to go ahead with my plan. I just need to request that he be the one to do the inspection due to the circumstances. They're really great about that in here.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase