Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-07-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
BeamMeUpScotty

Grout dye question

I just finished grouting my bathroom tile and am disappointed in how light the dried grout came out (MUCH different than the sample!!! It's Hydroment brand). How easy will it be to stain the grout? Could someone recommend a brand?

Thank you,
Scotty
BeamMeUpScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hiya Scotty, what color of hydroment did you use? I am very familiar with them as i use them almost exclusivly. We have an excellant grout stain in our store above.it will stain and seal your grout at the same time.How many feet do you have to do?
Unread 12-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
BeamMeUpScotty

Thanks, Todd.

I used Mobe Pearl sanded grout. The tile is Colorlands Greylands. When I held the Hydroment sample sheet next to the tile, it matched. What I ended up with is a much lighter grout that is quite a contrast from the tile color. I guess it looks OK, just not what I expected. I wanted the grout to be subtle and blend with the tile.

The project is about 175 sq feet (floor, half walls, ceiling in the shower). I'm nervous about staining the grout. How do I know how the stain will interact with my particular grout? Do i have to buy numerous stains and experiment?

Thank you,
Scotty
Unread 12-07-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

It sounds as if kahlua cream may have been closer to what you were looking for.Its in the same color family as Mobe but a bit darker.
Did you look at our color sheet? Haystack might be a contendor.Otherwise Hydroment does make grout stain and kahlua cream can be had.
Hydroment is one of the few grouts which is not modified with polymers etc. adverse reactions are therfor nothing to be concerned with.
Hydroment stains are a bit more spendy than ours but they are a good product and work well.If you believe haystack in our store will do the job for you.i wouldnt hesitate to reccomend it.If on the other hand its not quite what you want,go to the store you bought your grout and they can order hydroment grout stain for you.Look at some actual kahlua cream grout with your tile.Throw it on the til dry or scoot some dry powder up next to an edge.sample boards can get skewed by finger oils,flouresent lights etc etc. Good luck!!!
Unread 12-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #5
BeamMeUpScotty

I looked at Kalua Cream and thought it was too brown. The tile is a grey with some swirls of beige (a natural stone look). Actually, I like the color of the Mobe Pearl grout, I think it's the contrast that is bugging me. Any comments, from a design perspective, on light grout lines on darker tile? Is this taboo? Is there anything wrong with accentuating the grout lines via contrast?

Thank you,
Scotty
Unread 12-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

From a design perspective i would say many people do exactly that, contrasting grout with tile.The thing i tell most people is this.If you are going to contrast you need a very good tile or all you will do is accentuate the flaws in sizing.A poor tile that varies up to an 1/8" in size is going to be an extremely poor choice for a contrasting grout color.i think you can see why.If your tile looks good and is of good quality then i see no need not to accentuate the grout other than personal preferance.if you like it,then it works.If you dont like it now,you never will.use this as your guide to determine wether you want to stain or not. Best of luck and i'm glad to see youve stuck with us through your project.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase