Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Jenelle

Grout question

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. My husband and I recently remodeled a bathroom down to the studs. Part of the reno included converting a tub/shower combo to a curbless walk-in shower (did I mention this was our first time doing this? Of course I chose something complicated). We have completed the tiling and I am pretty happy with it; although I know it is not perfect, we learned a lot and I think it looks ok. This is my second time tiling anything (the first was the floor in this bathroom). My original intention was to use the same gray grout on the walls as we did on the floor, but I am worried that with our not-so-perfect grout lines, a darker grout will bring out every imperfection. I am very picky, and I know where the bodies are buried, so to speak, so I know my eye will pick them out immediately. But I'm not sure if anyone else would notice. The other option would be to use white grout, but I don't know how well it would stand up to use in a wet area.

So, white or gray grout? I promised my husband I would stop dithering and choose one once I got a consensus.

The first three pics are the almost-complete shower. The 4th pic is the other side of the bathroom for context, and the last pic is the original bathroom just for fun.

(BTW, I have learned so much from reading this site - thank you so much!!)
Attached Images

Unread 12-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
nickelec

If it matters white grout is a PITA to keep clean

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Unread 12-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
cbaum

Are those George Kovacs sconces? We got the same ones in stainless. Your bathroom looks incredible.

And yeah, I'd avoid white grout if possible and in your case white grout would add a "builders grade" look, in my opinion.
Unread 12-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
HouseOfJoe

Jenelle, to speak directly to your question, the darker the grout you use, the more visible any flaws in the grout lines will be.

I tend to agree that lighter grouts, much less white, can be fussy to keep clean. But if you know your grout lines are iffy in places, and if you know you're going to be irritated every time you look at an imperfect grout line (and I'm just the same way!), then a light/white grout will go the farthest in minimizing the visibility of those imperfections.

One thing to consider, though. If you're like me, you will see flaws in your own work that no one else will reasonably ever notice. So if the darker grout will look tons better than the lighter grout, try to be honest about just how "bad" those grout lines are!
Unread 12-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
Jenelle

@Nick - I agree completely. We have white grout in our master shower and I am constantly scrubbing it. This is a guest shower so would have much less use, so I'm not sure if it would be as bad?

@Charlie - I LOVED the George Kovacs sconces. These are the less expensive version (Livex Lighting Aero from overstock.com). And thank you! I go back and forth on which is worse - a "builder's grade" look or a "first-time DIYer" look.

@Joe - How bad is bad? Would you notice the flaws if you saw this shower in person? (I know that's a difficult question to answer). My husband wouldn't notice or care, so I can't use him for a second opinion.

Thank you all for responding!
Unread 12-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
HouseOfJoe

Impossible to say, Jenelle, since we're talking about a completely subjective situation. Here's a thought for you, though. If I were in your shoes, I would mix up a small batch of the grout I wanted to use. I would then grout a small area that included what I thought was the worst potential area. Like 2 sq ft or so. Wipe it down, tool the grout lines as well as you can, and then stand back and take a look. If your reaction is "oh my god that's awful" dig the grout out while it's still soft and buy some white grout. If the reaction is "well that's not too bad after all" then carry on grouting!

I'm curious how you sloped your shower floor. Looks to be roughly a 3x5 shower area, and you've got a 4 inch drain on the far left side. I would think that would have made the slope a tricky thing, especially with the floor tile you have. The floor looks beautiful from the pics, I just can't figure out how you sloped it.

Finally, love the vanity! Did that come from Costco? That's where I got mine for my current bathroom project and yours looks very familiar. I wish I had the room for a six foot, my bathroom is smaller than yours so I had to go with a five footer.
Unread 12-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
Jenelle

Thanks Joe, that's a good idea.

We used a pre-sloped shower pan from Tile Redi. It is specifically sized for a tub to shower conversion, and was the correct height to be placed directly on the slab foundation. The original tub was set on the slab, with ~ 2 1/2 inches of concrete poured around it, and the tile set on that, so we had enough depth for the pan. While we would have preferred a linear drain at the back of the shower, we had to use the left-sided one or jackhammer into the foundation. The tile is cut on the diagonals. You can just make out the cut lines in this pic, I'll try to find a better one (ignore the random tile standing up in the back). The slope was only really tricky around the drain, the rest wasn't too bad. Obviously I chose the most difficult tile possible for this project.

We used the Tile Redi flashing, and Wedi panels/fasteners/sealant for the walls.

And yes, the vanity is from Costco! Good eye! I have been really impressed with the quality for the money. When we forget the pain of this reno and start on the second bathroom, we will likely go with the 60".
Attached Images

Unread 12-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
Jenelle

Here is a slightly better picture. If you look closely you can see the diagonal lines radiating out from the corners of the drain. One diagonal had to be shifted over slightly because it would have cut too narrow a piece, so the lines aren't perfectly straight.
Attached Images

Unread 12-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
HouseOfJoe

Well for a first time project I'd have to say you did a brilliant job. In the pictures the cuts don't seriously distract the eye, and that couldn't have been easy to do.
Unread 12-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Jenelle

Thank you!
Unread 12-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
speed51133

did you use Wedi sealant on the seams between the panels?

What mortar did you use on the tile redi pan?
Unread 12-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
Jenelle

Yes, Wedi sealant on all seams and over the fasteners.

The Tile Redi pan requires the use of their included epoxy for setting the tile on the pan. Most reviews online said it did not come with enough, but we had an issue with the first pan they sent us so we ended up with two batches of epoxy and had plenty. I had my doubts but it cured rock solid.
Unread 12-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #13
lwills40

J your bathroom is beautiful! May I ask which brand of subway tile did you use?
Unread 12-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
Jenelle

Thank you, Lori! It's the Daltile Restore in bright white from HD. Nothing fancy. Which is good because we went through a lot of "practice" tiles.
Unread 12-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
lwills40

that's the same tile I'm using for the same reasons LOL. but your grout lines look thinner than mine. Did you use spacers? Or now I get it. You haven't grouted yet, I forgot your original question

Last edited by lwills40; 12-12-2020 at 07:59 AM. Reason: add
lwills40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase