Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
Nick5545

Shower Curb Advice

I am renovating my 2nd floor master bath. Initially I intended the 4' x 6' shower to be curbless.

I installed the Schluter tray and Kerdi board. But, then I decided a curbless shower is a bad idea on the 2nd floor. So, I ordered 2 Schluter curbs which arrived a couple of days ago (I can still return them).

The tile in the shower will be a mosaic and the main floor will be 12" x 24". Instead of tiling the curb, I am thinking a threshold will definitely be less effort and also look nice. I need to remove some of the shower pan.

The problem is I prefer a slim and low curb and the Kerdi curbs are 4.5" wide and 6" tall. I don't have a problem cutting it down in height, but I am nervous about slicing a sliver out of the center and gluing it back together.

An alternative that I am thinking about would be to laminate several pieces of Kerdi board with Kerdi-fix. In fact, I think this DIY curb would be stronger if I built it with the pieces laminated vertically, not flat or horizontally.

But, I realize I don't know the good reasons professionals do these things certain ways. Should I just go with the Kerdi curb? Or should I build my own curb? What problems might I run into?

I appreciate any advice. Thank you
Attached Images

Unread 02-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Nick,

I don't see a problem with slicing a section of curb out and gluing the thing back together. I just saw one side off and fill the voids with thinset mortar as I wrap the membrane over it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hi, Nick, welcome back,

Sorry you decided against curbless. I've been using my 2nd floor curbless shower for over 2 years without issue. But, it appears that your Ditra Heat is well below the level of your Kerdi foam tray so don't see how you could accomplish a curbless shower.

Regardless, is your build being inspected by your local building code enforcement office? If so, you may need to check the relevant building code as it relates to shower curbs. In my location the code states that if a curb will be used it must be a minimum of 2" above the shower drain. I'd guess that your proposed threshold would be considered a curb.

But given what I think I see in your photos I don't see how you can accomplish using just a threshold. If you cut out a section of the tray to install the threshold how do you intend to water proof the joint between the tray and threshold? If you install the threshold on top of the tray you'll have to figure out how to hide the edge of the tray.

Maybe I'm missing something...
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
HilltopRehab

Threshold curb is a good option, I just finished mine that way.

I also wanted a slim curb after bailing on the idea of curbless, so I used the method of a 2x4 on edge. I've seen it here previously. You'd cut a 1-1/2" strip out of the end of your kerdi pan, then drop in the 2x4 and anchor it to the walls and floor. It'll need to be wrapped in at least 1/4" sheetrock or other substrate for kerdi membrane, with the top pitched towards the drain a smidge, so that you can then tie it into your shower and bathroom floors with the membrane.

But you'll have to tile the sides of it. I ripped lengths of my large format tile used on the non-shower floor down for that purpose. Then I put the quartz threshold (in my case, made from the countertop material I used for my vanity) on top.
Unread 02-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
Nick5545

Replies

Hi John,

This seems like the least effort, so I may end up doing exactly that. I appreciate your help. Thank you,

Hi ss,

I think curbless looks really nice, but my wife has long hair and our shower drain gets clogged fairly routinely. So, I decided the curb was the safe way to go being on the second floor.

The kerdi tray is about 1/2 inch above the Ditra Heat and I was planning to use the Kerdi ramp.

I hope I am doing this correctly. In the photo, I stacked four pieces of 1/2" kerdi board on the drain to get my 2" height. The level in the photo is perfectly flat. The tray is 1.25" thick at the perimeter and I have 2 pieces of kerdi board beneath that white threshold. Since I intend to remove part of the tray, I need the kerdi curb to be at least 2.25" height plus the threshold to achieve the 2" above the drain. In addition, I am thinking the curb will be easier to tile if I raise it an additional 1/2 to 1 inches.

I will waterproof the curb with Kerdi-band.

Hilltop,

This sounds like a good idea.

Thank you,
Unread 12-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Nick5545

Couple of progress photos

These are older photos. I appreciate the comments above.

I bought 2 kerdi curbs and trimmed about 3" off the bottom. There are less expensive ways to achieve the same result, but I went with what seemed the easiest.

I used the Kerdi Fix on the seems of the Kerdi board in the shower. I realize this is not necessary, but this is a 2nd floor bath. I used the Silka brand sealant/adhesive around the perimeter of the bath. I understand it is similar to Kerdi Fix but for a fraction of the price.

I bought Redguard for a couple of areas that I was nervous about. Since I had plenty of extra, I just rolled it over nearly everything.

I am laying out the wall tile now.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Unread 12-07-2022, 07:34 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The Schluter rep may have some thoughts, but I'm not too sure RedGard over Kerdi will work all that well.

Sika makes lots of different adhesive/sealant products. They do make one that is similar to KerdiFix, but it retails for even more money. They are not all created equal. If I remember correctly, KerdiFix is a silane-based sealant. Many of the Sika products are urethane based...not the same thing.

It's best to stick with one brand unless you are completely up to speed about their compatibility.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase