Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
oakland76

Terracotta patio tile

I have finished the inside tiling projects and have moved outside. I had 25 yards of concrete patios, walkways and stairs poured. The concrete guys left a rough finish to give my tile something better to bond to. I have ordered 1300 sq feet of saltillio terracotta (mostly 12x12s) but I am unsure what the best mud for outdoors is. I planned on using a latex modified thinset but I dont know which brand holds up to the outdoors the best. I live in northern California so weather is not really an issue. Also, any recommendations on type of grout? Should I spray a concrete bonding agent before I tile? Thanks again for all of your help.
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Heck, I'd probably use good ol Grey Versabond, myself. Eye ball each piece as you go and fill the backs if they are cupped like they usually are. If you see a corner that looks to be high, add more thinset to it.

We use to make our own grout with mason's sand and portland cement, 3 sand to 1 cement. You can also use sand blast sand or some guys have used silica sand. Also, check out Custom's Saltillo grout, already mixed in a bag. Wet it down before you grout, that will be easiest being outside. If you don't, it will suck the water right out of your grout, turning it to powder. About a week or two later, it will probably need a mild acid wash. No bonding agent on the slab. Are there any cracks in the slab?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
oakland76

terracotta

Thanks for the recommendations. There are a couple superficial cracks but other than that, no.

Also, I was planning on a 1/4 inch U notch trowel for the mud, any objections? I am going to tile the side walkway of the house which is about 50 ft long and 3'6" wide on a steady uphill slope. The sidewalk climbs about 6 ft over the length and I am a little concerned the tiles may want to settle downhill with gravity until the mud dries. Am I paranoid or is this a valid concern. If it is a possibility what is the best way to prevent it.
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
bbcamp

Jason, did you mean 1/2" U-notch trowel?

I kinda doubt the tiles will slide on a 1.44 inch/foot slope.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, you want a bigger notch than 1/4. Like Bob said, 1/2 would be okay but I would still look at each tile, butter up when you need to. You want to make sure and get enough thinset under the tiles. That's why I said Versabond, it's a good thinset and not real expensive, you'll need a bunch. I'd figure about 50 sq ft a bag .

Alot of folks buy Saltillo cause it's so cheap and it does make a nice floor but the cost is in the setting of it. It takes a lot of thinset and grout. Having a little patience doesn't hurt. If the tiles are warped with a high corner, which they will be, try putting 4 high corners together.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
oakland76

trowel

Glad I read this before I laid any tile. I just bought the 1/2 trowel (2 actually so I can also put my wife to work). Can I round the edges of my cut pieces down with a file so they match the full pieces or will this make the tile crumble?
Unread 05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Sure, you can use a file, but might be a bit slow. Try rounding them by hand-holding the tile and work it with the wet saw blade...then finish it with a rub stone or file.

Also, you'll find those tiles are very THIRSTY. Dampen the back thoroughly with a wet sponge just before setting them...otherwise they tend to suck the moisture out of the thinset too fast to get a good bond.
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
oakland76

grout

Thanks for all the advice. I am doing this in sections with the hardest one (tiling a walkway and 30 stairs) coming to a close. My plan is to seal and grout this section of tile at one time then reseal it and move on. I have a quality grout which is sanded and intended for 1/2 inch grout lines as well as a good sealer that is intended for outdoor use. I have heard that I should not grout along the house but rather use some type of foam. Is this true? If so can you guyd lead me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase