Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
renogirl
renogirl

Unsanded grout by accident

My dad & brother are helping me reno my house. They installed porcelain tile today in the entry way, approx. 30 sq/ft. We went with an 1/8" grout line and unsanded grout was accidently used instead of sanded. The tile has small divets or texture to it and the unsanded grout got all stuck in the divets. It took them 3 hrs. to clean up the grout off the tile. Then due to all the brushing and cleaning, there are several holes in the grout lines. Plus, the grout seems to be different colors- some places it appears light, others dark, maybe it will be different when it is all dry??
My first thought is to scrape out the grout a little bit and come back with sanded grout on top. Is this advisable? Also, how do we get all the grout out of the divets in the tile?
We will be using the same tile in the kitchen. Will sanded grout create less problems than the unsanded?
renogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-02-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hello rgirl........

and welcome to Tile Your World Forums.

At least your looking at reworking only 30 sq feet of tile…. It could be worse. :---)

Using un-sanded grout when the space between tiles is 1/8" or less is proper.... and sanded or un-sanded grout is about equally difficult to remove from tile facing.

The sooner you attempt removal of grout after installation.... the easier it will be. The grout is new enough that.... by using a quality “exacto” knife..... you should be able to cut all grout out from between the tiles.

Be sure to control that knife blade.

Finally.....consider taping the tile facing before re-grouting.

I hope this helps
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase