Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
LarryM

Felker TM-1 motor/switch issue

Ignore this or delete.... I found the loose wire.

Hope this is the right place to post this....

I have an older Felker TM-1 that I bought used. Now it's becoming obvious why I got a 'good deal' on it.

It ran fine and I even cut a few test tiles with it when I first got it... but I also remember flipping the on-switch once or twice and getting nothing. It then sat for a few months.

A month ago, my brother borrowed it for a small job and I help him set up the saw... we noticed then that something was really wrong with what we guessed was the switch. The saw would turn on sometimes and other times not. Once he got it running he just left the switch in the 'on' position and then he would plug/unplug the power cord to now act as the switch.

Well, now it's my turn to use the saw and I went to turn it on, 90% of the time I get nothing, the other 10% of the time, the saw will turn on for a split second and the blade will move a fraction of an inch then seize.

I decided to remove the switch housing from the top of the motor and inspect it. Obviously someone has been in it as the screws holding it are mismatched and one is slightly stripped.

I decided to try the switch one more time as I held the housing up off the motor and it actually turned on and ran fine. I screwed the housing back down and turned the switch... no luck.

Any thoughts? It's a Leeson motor.

Last edited by LarryM; 02-25-2009 at 12:31 PM.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Larry you can get those switches at HD,they are typically four prong.Get a new one(hopefully it isn't the starter capacitor,that's the black round thing in there with it,that looks like a little beer can)make sure you take opff one wire at a time and replace the switch,don't cross them, maybe a take a pic i actually did this myself.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Oh you fixed it?

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Toon

Smile Felker TM-1 motor/switch issue

Larry, I not much of a tileman, but I have made a living as a master electrician for the past 30 years. Intermittent electrical problems are sometimes difficult even for the experienced electrician; although, having the right testing equipment does help. I am going to assume that you don't have this test equipment. From what you describe I would remove the switch and directly wire the motor. For safety, locate an 120 volt outlet, again I am going to assume your saw is 120 volts, turn the circuit breaker off or remove the fuse that controls this outlet. After the motor has been wired directly plug it into the outlet and turn on the breaker or install the fuse (I always wear safety glasses and a cotton long sleeve shirt) and see what happens. If the motor runs try it a couple more times to be sure. This would indicate the switch is most likely your problem. I would suggest that you go to a electrical supply house and purchase or order a MOTOR RATED switch, rated for the voltage and horsepower of the motor. If this isn't the problem and it has a capacitor as described by Davestone then it's probably a capacitor-start or capacitor-start-run motor, in that case bring it to an air conditioning supply house, match the voltage and MF (milli farads) and connect it up. If that doesn't slove the problem chances are you have a winding connection that heating up and opening the motor circuit. In this case, either bring the motor to a motor shop to have it reconditioned or buy a new motor. Hopes this helps.
Toon is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase