Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
jeffrey

repair exterior porch tile

i have some tile coming loose. it is a front porch tiled with a beige 6" tile. doesn't appear to have any glaze. where the porch meets the steps, the course of tile is loose. (probably tile loose in lots of spots, but this all i hope to deal with at the moment) i've taken a couple of pieces off to check out the substrate. appears that it was applied over face brick (the steps are face brick, same as the house), and in some spots more tile. i understand that the porch was originally a reddish tile, which the current beige tile was set on. i guess the point is that i may be replacing the either over other tile or on face brick or ...?

i was planning on using a diamond wheel to score the substrate, then use mortar mixed with latex to set the tile and as grout.

any better ideas or comments?

jeffrey
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Sounds like a good plan.I would just add that there are some differances in Thinsets.Be certain to use a thinset rated for exterior use.
I would Use Mapei Keraset mixed with Keraply!!
Unread 06-23-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
jeffrey

and i can use the same thinset as the grout between tiles, yes?
Unread 06-23-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
jeffrey

and.. good thing you mentioned thinset, since i was just going to use regular brick laying mortar. don't know why but thinset outside just didn't occur to me.

speaking of mortar, over the last several years, i have been continually patching the grout lines between tiles and step bricks with mortar. seems spots here and there are continually disintegrating. i have been using mortar for the grout line patching. would thinset be better?
Unread 06-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jeffrey, use thinset to stick the tiles. Grout comes in powder form ( just add water) , get it at Home Depot, Lowes or any tile store.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Jeffrey,

You seem to have several issues going here. Do you intend to strip all the existing tile off and start over?

Thin set cannot be used as grout (efficiently).
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
jeffrey

i plan to just remove the row of tile at the edge of the porch, at the stairs, and either reuse or replace those. hopefully this will not turn into replacing a large number of tiles.

one of the reasons i considered using the thinset as grout was that my experience in the past with replacing tiles was that a larger than normal amount of thinset was usually necessary, so that i could push the tile down, making it level with the adjoining tiles. and in this case, i am also expecting to not have a consistent level surface all the way across. again, thicker application of thinset, allowing me to push the tiles level with each other and the existing tile. whenever i have done this, thinset usually is oozing up around the tile and filling the joints. if this happens, leveling it off and using it for grout would be simpler then cleaning out the joints and filling with grout. but if grout is substantially better for filling the joints i will do this.
Unread 06-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

If you are not concerned with the general appearance of the repair, it wouldn't matter, but thin set will never match what is there, not even remotely.

There is a reason the tiles came loose. It's either due to freezing or lack of movement provision. It could also be that the wrong adhesive was used. It would be nice to try to figure that out so you could remedy it as you go.
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:45 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jeffrey, tap lightly on the other tiles and see if they are hollow or loose. Does the porch have good fall, no standing water?
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2003, 11:26 PM   #10
jeffrey

i am sure some of the tiles are loose. they sound hollow. and yes there is standing water in spots. it was not a good tile job. in fact whoever installed it had to take it off and do it again, i am told. this around an 8 x 30 foot area. the brick steps are also going to fail at some point. mortar is disintegrating, bricks are cracked. replacing all of it is not an option at this time. getting the tiles at the edge repaired, so that someone doesn't take a fall there, is a necessity. at least i'll know that the part i fixing will be right.

i am curious: how would i determine what adhesive was used?
Unread 06-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

If the thin set that was used was basic, you'll be able to rub on it with a margin trowel or screwdriver and it will wear off fairly easily. If a good modified mix was used, your tool will glance off it as you try to rub. That's one way.

I now understand what you're trying to do -- a stop-gap repair. Use a modified thin set to re-stick the tiles, but I still think you should use gray grout. It'll look better.
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #12
jeffrey

will do .

if the remainder is like the two pieces i already removed, glancing off the thinset is not likely. the "thinset" was disintegrated.

thanks for the advice.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase