Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
mjlee

Caulking - main source of waterproofing?

I recently hired a professional tiler to fix our shower that was leaking to the floor below. To fix the problem we ended up retiling the whole shower, which cost us $5K. About 4 months later it started leaking again below, about a drop every 2 seconds. So they came in and added a bit more caulking to fill a crack that had formed, which fixed the leak. They now consider the project done. Is this a legitimate fix to the problem? Here's what they said:

"As long as there’s no leaking it sounds like the caulking was the fix. As I mentioned during install, the red waterproofing that we painted on is a courtesy that we prefer to do. Caulking is the main avenue of waterproofing when it comes to re-tiling any wet area."

Any thoughts?

Last edited by mjlee; 09-29-2022 at 12:23 PM.
mjlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-29-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
john619

That is a problem. Start saving for another 5K re do, but this time use someone that understands waterproofing.
Unread 09-29-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Dan Marvin
Company Rep

Caulking the cracked grout as a 'fix' relies on the tile and grout to be the primary waterproofing which is not the accepted industry practice. There must be a primary form of waterproofing below/behind the tile layer that is capable of keeping the installation from leaking. Typically the industry recommends conducting a 'flood test' of the waterproofing before tile (and caulk) are installed to make sure there are no leaks.
Unread 09-29-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Put another way, the shower should be waterproof PRIOR to the installation of the tile. The tile is the decorative, wear surface, not waterproofing.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #5
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Yep, tile, grout, silicone - not part of waterproofing. Silicone is prescribed by the TCNA (Tile Council of North America) to be used instead of grout in changes of plane (wall to floor, for example) because grout will tend to crack in those joints. The recommendation has nothing to do with waterproofing. Waterproofing is below the tile surface in a properly constructed shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee
As long as there’s no leaking it sounds like the caulking was the fix. As I mentioned during install, the red waterproofing that we painted on is a courtesy that we prefer to do. Caulking is the main avenue of waterproofing when it comes to re-tiling any wet area
He may be a "Professional Tiler" but he is not a professional shower builder. Sorry for the continued bad news. You are not going to find anyone here who is going to say, "wait a minute, caulking can solve this issue." And this forum is loaded with shower pros.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The guy provided you with a leaky shower. At minimum, the floor and bottom rows of wall tile need to come out.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Sorry for your problems, Michael.

I did have to chuckle at this spin "As I mentioned during install, the red waterproofing that we painted on is a courtesy that we prefer to do".
Makes it sound like they just did that gratis...nope.

Let me interpret that statement for you, "we don't really know what we're doing, but we're going to apply this red stuff to make up for our lack of understanding and then we're going to present it as a bonus to you".

Sorry for the snark, I just couldn't resist.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Michael.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
I recently hired a professional tiler to fix our shower...
I hate to add to Peter's snarky comment (naaaa, I really love it!), but you didn't hire a professional tiler. You hired someone who apparently accepts money for tile work, but you certainly didn't hire a professional.

You didn't include a geographic location in your User Profile, so I can't tell in what state you're located, but I'll wager that your Court of Small Claims financial recovery limit would cover that $5K dollars you spent on a clearly defective product. And if you have reasonable documentation, you should have no trouble prevailing there after you have someone rebuild that shower correctly on your behalf.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #9
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Your "tile professional" has a lack of knowledge and skills thus misrepresent himself. Or, he is possibly a buffoon, but it is one or the other.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yeah...Just a "Band Aid" fix,,,,and NOT for ling term......

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase