Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Mapei flexcolor cq vs customs prism vs grout additive?

I am using mapei flex color cq on a current job. So far it's kind of a pita to work with but that isn't my question. Apparently the guy at the tile store told my customer that the flexcolor is better that using a cement based grout with a latex/polymer additive. He said that the additives only last for a few years whereas the flex color is forever.
Is this true about latex additives?

I mentioned to the customer that the customs prism grout is basically the same although it's not premixed. The customer asked the guy at the tile store and he said no because of the same reason that the prism would only be good for a few years.

Any thoughts on that?
Another thing, cleaning up the flexcolor is a chore. There always seems to be a white film which looks, feels,and smells like latex. Little white droplets are forming on the lower edge of vertical tile. Looks like they could dry and leave a blob of not taken care of.

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Long threads about each of those grouts here on the forums with lots of the discussion. Not sure how your salesperson could know the longevity of the Flexcolor compared to other brands/types as the Flexcolor has only be available for a short time, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Big Tile

There are a few purposes for using a latex additive with a cement grout. When grout is mixed with only water the dehydration/drying process leaves behind millions of tiny capillaries where the water once was creating an environment for stains and dirt to collect. Mixing with latex additives dry in place where the capillaries would have been “aiding” in stain resistance. This acts like a plug in the capillaries, which “reduces” absorption of stains and dirt. Additives also “moderately” aid with flexibility, shrinkage and tensile strength. It is my experience that the lack of cleaning and maintenance contribute to ugly grout over time, rather than the latex not working after a few years. Once it dries, it is there.

Flexcolor CQ has no cement at all and will not contribute or act as a vehicle for efflorescence. The product does all the above, but much better. It also meets many of the same standards of an epoxy grout when it comes to color consistency, stain resistance, and some chemical resistance properties of epoxy. There are also no pigments used in CQ, which allows it to clean “in my opinion” much easier than other premixed products. The main trick here is to pre-moisten the tile prior to spreading and don’t let it dry too long on the tile face. You can also use an abundant amount of water for the cleaning process without worrying about weakening the grout or any shading issues.

I have witnessed your issue with beads of water/latex forming on the tile in vertical applications. Most of the time, it is with a very square edged tile, or a high glazed tile with no texture to it. In this case, some guys have had success using a microfiber covered sponge, or microfiber cloth for a final wipe down. If you end up with a haze that will not release with water; get in touch with your local rep and he can get you the appropriate MAPEI cleaning product to cut the haze.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase