Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
JGS

firring tub surround wall

Because the tiled area on all 3 walls of the tub surround were set in mesh and at least 2 inches of concrete we have to fir ( spelling?) the back exterior wall so that the new cement board will cover the tub flange.
Can you buy firring strips or can we create our own out of an 8x4 plywood sheet?
Did I read somewhere that you should not use plywood in wet areas? If that is so what can we use to fir out the walls?
Any help much appreciated.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

Hi J,

I'll assume this is a wood stud wall you're furring out? If you need to build it out 2" I'd sister 2x4's or 2"x6's along side the existing studs protruding out your distance needed. Plumb them up as you go.
The wet area/plywood thing isn't an issue as you'll be waterproofing the walls.

hope this helps,
Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Arn
Oregon Tile Guy

Good morning jgs!

Build out the wall with good lumber and make it sound. before tiling though make sure you have a proper vapor barrier, or waterproof membrane; I prefer the latter ( redguard)
I assume you are using a tile backerboard like HB or Durrock.

later,

Aaron

~Mind over Mortar
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
JGS

thanks for the help.
Yes we will be using Durock and we will be firring the original studs. Because there was Tar Paper (roofing felt?) under the mesh and concrete my husband bought more of the same to go over the studs before we put the CBU on. Is the plastic a better choice? If we use a VB we do not have to use redguard i assume?
By sistering you mean attatch to the sides of the original studs? we were just going to fir on top of the studs, is that okay?
Is there a picture anywhere on this site that shows firring studs or sistering studs, I am a visual person!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
JGS,

You have it correct. Furring a stud is to fasten material to the face of the stud to increase it's overall depth.

Sistering is to fasten material to the side of the stud. This method is used to either make that stud more ridgid or, in your case, to change it's depth.

Both methods will work to increase the depth of the stud. Which one you should use probably depends on how much depth you need to add. If you only need to add, say, 1/4 of an inch then furring would be appropriate. If you need to add 2 inches then sistering would be less time consuming (you won't have to rip and fasten multiple strips of plywood).

Hope that helps....

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Todds

I had a similar situation. I had to fur out 1.5". I used a table saw and ripped 2x4's down the 1.5" and fastened then to the existing studs.
Todds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
JGS

Unfortunatly we do not have a table saw. my husband spent quite a few hours cutting an 8x4 sheet of plywood with a hand saw and then we were told we should not use plywood in a bathroom for firring. On that wall we only needed a 1/4 inch!!!!
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

J, plywood furring is fine as long as it's covered with waterproofing. i.e. roofing felt/poly/liquid membrane (any one of the three)

If you go with roofing felt, start at the bottom overlapping the tub flange and continue up 'ship-lapping' each piece 3"-4".
Whatever w.p. material you use, it should over lap the flange, so any water on the walls goes back into the tub.

If hubby ripped furring strips with a hand saw (non-electric) he needs a X-mas present.

hope this helps,
Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
Todds

Do you have a circular saw? You can use that to rip down the plywood. Difficult to rip down the studs lenghtwise with a circular saw since you have to clamp them down. If your looking to get the hubby a new present for the holidays a table saw is a good choice. The dewalt is pretty nice but you can go even cheaper if needed at the Depot or Lowes. I picked one up for my project because I knew I had to rip down studs for furring out the wall. Now I see all of the things I can use it.

Another possible option is that many lumberyards will ripdown 2x4's for you as well. I did this once a few years back when I had a bunch to do for another project and did not have the table saw.
Todds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
JGS

I actually meant an electric circular saw!!!!!
I have been getting different opinions on the plywood useage in the tub surround area. Someone told me that the glue that holds the plywood together could come unglued in a wet area.
i thought we would be okay seeing as it would be covered with A VB and then CBU and then tile. Seems like I am getting the okay to use plywood for the firring?
Thanks for all the responses.
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
bbcamp

As long as you install a good vapor barrier, plwyood furring strips are fine,
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase