Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-13-2022, 11:37 PM   #1
webdood90

Fix an unlevel curb - float with heavy set mortar?

Hi all,

I've made some foolish decisions with a bathroom remodel.

My situation is that my floor is flat, but not level. My walls are plumb. I've tiled my floor, except a 5x3 shower pan built with Kerdi Curbs / Pan. I'm really struggling with with this part due to poor prep.

After laying kerdi band, my curb is lumpy and not very flat. Pair that with the fact that it's not level, I'm struggling with what to do.

I will be having a glass enclosure installed. I was originally under the impression that the enclosure could be custom formed to fit my wonky setup but after further research, that doesn't seem to be the case.

The best that I've come up with is floating the curbs with a heavy set mortar to level (up to ~3\4in) and then tiling over it. Is that going to work? Can I feather such materials to such a low thickness on the level side, and is it appropriate to put over a Kerdi curb? Will it be able to support the weight of a glass enclosure?

I can't start over - I have ditra heat installed already on my pan and I can't imagine throwing that all out.

I really appreciate your time - thanks!
Unread 08-13-2022, 11:47 PM   #2
webdood90

Attached a progress pic for reference. Please don't judge too harshly!
Attached Images

Unread 08-14-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never installed a foam curb but I see no reason why you can mud over it with a thin layer of thinset and then fat mud over that. The thinset would be used as a bonder for the mud to stick to the foam. Thinset alone won't work that thick.

I would find the high spot on the curb and barely have mud there. I clamp straight boards (1x3's or 1x4's) on the inside and outside of the curb using bar clamps. Make sure you have a 1/8-3/16 pitch towards the drain on top of the curb. Boards will make it a breeze once you get it all set up.

Get the fat mud and thinset made up. Spread a 1/8 layer of thinset on the curb and immediately place the fat mud over it while the thinset is still wet. Fill it to the top of the boards and strike off the extra mud using a trowel or straight edge of some sort.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I found a picture that might help.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
webdood90

Excellent, thanks Davy. This is basically what I had in mind.

Any recommendation for the type/brand of fat mud to use?

Edit: Nevermind, I found examples in the liberry

Last edited by webdood90; 08-14-2022 at 12:07 PM.
webdood90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase