Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #196
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Good points Larry, and I agree with most of them, generally. Remember, though, these forums are first & foremost here to help DIYers and that won't change. All the public forums you see now, will remain as they are. The Advice Forum, where the vast majority of the action is, will still be there doing it's thing day after day, as it has for years. The folks who help out over there aren't going away.

All we're doing is adding another private forum for pros only. Good things take time, and some pros have been asking for this to happen for a long time. It's finally gonna happen.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #197
dhagin

I, for one, appreciate Mr Tired Notsomuch posting.

I may not agree with the facts as he presented them, I may not agree with his anon posting, but, his sentiment is loud and clear. He's not the only one with these sentiments and it's in our best interest to hear it and try to see where it's coming from.

If there's truth in there, then we'd be better off acknowledging it and responding, rather than brushing it off. JMO.

It's sorta like online reviews. Do you read all the 5 stars or do you look for the 1's?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 02-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #198
cx
Moderator emeritus

I generally read the 1s first, Dana.

My only problem with the Just Pretend participation is that we get no context for the complaints. Could be from John Whipple, for all we know, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #199
dhagin

Who?

edit: this is rhetorical.

Unread 02-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #200
Hank B.

You know, the real reason the pro attendance is down is because the JBF has made us all so good that we're to busy to post. Out there gettin' it

Seriously though, I used to come home dying to login and see who posted what. I used to selfishly come for pro only content, Whether the diy aspect was good or bad didn't really concern me. I wanted to see what Guezeman had posted. Locked into my own market, doing the same old same old but being able to see what other pros where doing and how kept my skill improving, as well as my mood toward what I did.

FB makes us so connected it's crazy. I don't need to worry about who gets banned because if they're on my friends list I can video call them through Facebook. A little while back I accidentally pocket dialed Guezeman and Steve Sprung through FB. Gueze was stressing about a job he was trying to get ready for some out of town help on and I was trying to wrap up 1 of the 5 I had going. It was great.

When I look back at the threads here before I was a member there was a unique atmosphere between the pros and I wanted in. Now we're all friends on fb, if Jack is working on his truck, I see it, If Gueze is trying a new beer we chat about it and when I'm bitching about my thoughts about Obama care Roger calls BS and we "chat" lol. We do it all without being moderated, we don't worry about being moderated. I can't see a private forum here competing with that. Everything changes.
Unread 02-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #201
pgc555

WOW! When I posted this back in Oct. I had NO IDEA that it would get so much talk. Sure didn't ask the question to create any division. To be honest, I have not read the whole thread.

Would it be safe to say that the biggest difference between this forum and TG is that HERE, we still try to give the BEST advice, according to the "tried and true" methods and standards as outlined by the handbook, AND in TG, we are more open to giving opinion, posting pictures of recent work and having more relaxed open conversation with other tiles guys? More like just sitting around over a beer and talking about our trade?

http://www.edgestripkits.com/
pgc555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #202
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Good post Hank. Right on the money.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #203
Sprung831
Tile Tool Guy

I think you're on to something Phil. Though I wouldn't say we give "the best advice", but advise best practices. To me, there is a pretty big difference between the two. A large number of posts I've seen 'moderated' here over the years have been that of opinion. With this forum being public and driven by searchable content, we can't have people running around doing things all willy nilly. Yes...I just said that.

The way I see it, on this forum we are all professionals representing our businesses and skillsets. Facebook on the other hand, you are attached by your personal profile page, in which freedom of speech definitely comes into play. I think we are much more willing to throw out a 'try this...' type of comment on TG, because we are professionals and usually know how other aspects of a project may be effected by the decision made as an installer. A DIY may or may not know, so best to play it safe.

Me personally, I love both platforms for their individual reasons.
www.tiletools.com
Sprung831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #204
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Phil:
WOW! When I posted this back in Oct. I had NO IDEA that it would get so much talk. Sure didn't ask the question to create any division. To be honest, I have not read the whole thread.

Would it be safe to say that the biggest difference between this forum and TG is that HERE, we still try to give the BEST advice, according to the "tried and true" methods and standards as outlined by the handbook, AND in TG, we are more open to giving opinion, posting pictures of recent work and having more relaxed open conversation with other tiles guys? More like just sitting around over a beer and talking about our trade?
Phil the division had already been created before your thread but you nailed it. And many have nailed it over and over. You can beat a till the end of time if you want to here.

Your second paragraph spells it out, in TG like you said it is a comfort level of being among your fellow brothers and sisters who face the same challenges you do everyday in this trade. They understand you, they get it. A person who does not do what we do for a living certainly cannot understand the full realm of what we go through day-in day-out. The John Bridge Forum would still like you to come over here and check in now and then which I do because I remember where my career got a jumpstart. It is here where I realized there were many others like myself who are passionate about this industry and willing to share ideas and experiences. Sharing ideas with each other makes us all better as we strive for an industry with guidelines setting us up for success.... those guidelines being established by the NTCA many who are members here in this forum.... small world

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 04:17 AM   #205
Tile Machine

Send a message via Yahoo to Tile Machine
wheres the "like" button....
Unread 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #206
Sprung831
Tile Tool Guy

Frank, you might be on to something. I've often thought about that with this forum as well. I have been on others that have a button on the bottom right of each post allowing you to acknowledge the post without having to unnecessarily lengthen the content. This might help to reaffirm an idea, while keeping it closer to the OP and easier to find? I do like it when things are a bit more interactive that way.
www.tiletools.com
Unread 02-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #207
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

A like and dislike button.

I have a hard time 'liking' a bad install or a death announcement.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #208
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Frank, you might be on to something. I've often thought about that with this forum as well. I have been on others that have a button on the bottom right of each post allowing you to acknowledge the post without having to unnecessarily lengthen the content. This might help to reaffirm an idea, while keeping it closer to the OP and easier to find? I do like it when things are a bit more interactive that way.
There are a number of features that have been disabled (or never added) on this forum. To the forum's detriment IMHO. For example, I had to manually quote you, and add attribution. And, you'll never be notified that someone quoted you. I understand the forum's contention that the "quote button" was abused, and resulted in long posts being quoted in their entirety, but really, is it that big of a deal? Does text really eat up that much bandwidth?

For me, forums that have quote notifications go a long ways towards keeping my interest.
Unread 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #209
Sprung831
Tile Tool Guy

Name:  like-button.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  21.2 KB
www.tiletools.com
Unread 02-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #210
Kman

I don't know if it's the case here, since the auto-quote feature was gone before I.got here, but on some forums I've been on that feature not only repeats the text, but all pictures as well. They can be edited out by the person doing the quoting, but most wouldn't do it out of laziness.

So then you have any extremely long post with pictures being quoted in its entirety when really only a line or two was being referenced. Pages end up being unnecessarily long, and everyone spends a lot of time scrolling through extraneous material.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase