Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
jrsandz

Basic Shower Wall Construction for Tile

I would just like some confirmation and advice on my project.

Im in the process of finishing my basement. For the bathroom, the stud walls are up. For the shower, I will be using a plastic shower base (5ft wide x 34in deep x 18in tall).

I want to tile from the top of the plastic shower base to a height of about 6 ft. So I will put Durock up from the top of the shower base up to a height of 6 ft. From that point up to the ceiling, I will put greenboard.

My questions:

1. I understand that I should put a vapor barrier up aound the shower area. What is a good vapor barrier to use? Does the vapor barrier go from the ceiling down to the shower base? Does the vapor barrier hang behind the shower base or does it overlap the plastic lip on the shower base?

2. I put Durock on over the vapor barrier, right? Does the Durock stop at the top of the plastic lip of the shower base or does it hang down over the lip?

3. Any advice on installing the Durock?

4. What do I do to finish the seams of the Durock? What products do I use?

5. No Redgard, right, since I'm using a vapor barrier? Or is Redgard a better option that installing a vapor barrier on the studs?

6. What material do I use to secure the tile to the Durock?

Thanks,
Jason
Unread 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jason.

1. You don't need a vapor barrier unless you're building a steam shower. You do, however need a moisture barrier behind the CBU if you use that method. The barrier must lap over the tiling flange of your shower receptor.

2. I think the CBU should hang over the tiling flange, but so long as the moisture barrier does, the CBU can, technically stop above the flange. I'm not in favor of that kind of installation.

3. Yes. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

4. See #3.

5. You can use either a moisture barrier behind the wall board or a bonded waterproofing membrane on the interior surface, but not both. I would consider the waterproofing membrane the better method.

6. A thinset mortar per the CBU manufacturer's instructions (see #3 above). Usually a modified mortar meeting the specifications of ANSI A118.4 (it'll say that onna bag).

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
jrsandz

CX, thanks.

Do I need to use green board everywhere in the bathroom? Specific questions:

1. Around the shower, the tile will go up to about 6.5 ft. The top 18 inches will be plastered. Should I use green board for this top 18 inches or should I just use CBU all the way?

2. Do I need green board for the ceiling? Just above the shower or for the entire bathroom. My joists are 12in OC or less.

3. Should I use green board for the rest of the bathroom walls outside of the shower? All the walls in the bathroom will be plastered.

Btw, my bathroom is small - 5ft x 8.5ft, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Jason
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
jrsandz

CX, my basic question is can I use blueboard in the rest of the bathroom instead of greenboard? Some things I've read suggest this may be better? Would DensArmor be the best?

Jason
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

You don't need MR Board (greenboard) anywhere unless you've got an antique inspector to keep happy. Might be a weird one out there still.

You don't want MR Board anywhere, especially not on ceilings.

You don't want no steenkin' color of board 'cept white not noplace, far as I'm concerned.

Unread 08-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
studawg66

CX,

I'm a newbie here and can't seem to find the answer to this. Why is green board a bad idea for ceilings, behind Kerdi, etc. I figured it would shed water a little better and might be good for the ceiling if it will be just painted.

Just curious. I will be doing my first tile shower in a few weeks (new construction) and will be buying some form of sheetrock soon, so any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. Sounds like everyone recommends plain white sheetrock, so that works for me, I just want to know why.

Thanks!
Stuart
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

MR Board, aka green board, aka greenrock, aka other stuff, tends to sag between supports on ceiling installations, Stuart. The building codes have long required closer joist spacing for MR Board on ceilings for that reason.

My choice for ceilings has always been 5/8ths" sheetrock, regardless the joist spacing, but it will allow you to go to 24" spacing. I'd want 16" spacing if I were tiling the ceiling, though.

I grew up in the industry using "greenrock" in "wet areas" for no reason other than to satisfy building inspectors. That's what they wanted to see, that's what we pewt. Except on ceilings. Some of those inspectors considered the area behind the terlit and lavatories to be "wet areas." In some jurisdictions you just greenrocked the entire bathroom 'cause it was easier to eliminate the potential arguments. It was also dumb.

Having torn out a good bit of MR Board over the years I hafta agree with those who claim it was overrated when it first came out and got written into the codes and I'm not sorry to see it disappearing all together.

You wanna use sheetrock, use sheetrock. Keep it away from water and it's a very useful product. Sheetrock on a residential shower ceiling, unless the ceiling is very low, works fine, tiled or painted. Never have seen a problem with that application.

Check your local codes.

Unread 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
studawg66

Thanks, CX.

I'm pretty new to all this and had never even seen the stuff until recently in a new home being built. It looked just like sheetrock to me, just had green colored paper and something written on it about mold prevention. I just assumed it was the same stuff with a fancy mold resistant paper covering. Sounds like it is a different material alltogether. I will definitely check into that.
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi All,

I second the use or regular old white drywall.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase