Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
hewhoone

Shower remodel

Hey guys. I love the website and have used your tips on a couple of tile projects in the past.

Last week I realized our shower was causing mold and wood rot so I ripped out the cultured marble slabs and the tile floor. The floor had no preslope, the liner was laying flat against the subfloor and the liner didn't go over the curb among other things. Now I have to get this shower operational so the wife will quit giving me the evil eye.

My first question is about the shower drain. The previous hole for the drain was so large that the drain rested on the joist and another piece of wood they nailed on as a bracket. The lip of the drain base was actually 1/4" below the plywood flooring. My instinct is to cut out a section of the fllooring and replace.

But how large should the new hole be? In the photos I see on this website the holes seem to be recessed. Is that correct?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
hewhoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
bbcamp

The hole can be as small as necessary to support the little nubs (where the flange bolts go) or large enough that the fitting sits flat on the subfloor.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Marge

hewhoone, welcome to the forum.

Hope we can help you further...just post right here in this same thread and we'll do our best.
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
hewhoone

Question

Thanks for all of the info so far. Have spent the past few days prepping and planning.

I am attaching a current photo for your consideration. I plan to do the pre-slope tomorrow so if you see anything stupid I've done please feel free to let me know now.

This is what I plan to do:

frame niches
preslope
tar paper on walls
liner
backer board
mortar bed
masonry shower bench (per John Bridge tutorial)
redgard niches and bench top
tile wall except bottom row
tile floor
tile bottom row
grout

I'm sure I've left something out but that is the general plan. Please point out any errors or make suggestions.

My wife likes the sheets of 2" octaganols for the floor but I have never worked with those before. Is there any reason for me to be concerned about working with those? We have honed & filled travertine on the bathroom floor and I am leaning toward trav for the shower wall but I am concerned about maintenance. Any comments re: tile vs. trav for the shower walls.

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy
Attached Images

Unread 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Looks pretty good, so far. Done quite a bit of travertine on shower walls, and it's a good look. Having said that, it IS a natural stone, pourous and requires a bit more upkeep and attention than ceramic. It should be sealed well and, like ceramic, it should be dried off after use. If you do that, the shower will look good indefinitely.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
bbcamp

I cana't tell from the pic. Did you notch the joists for the liner?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
hewhoone

Bob,

I have not notched the joists. Is it necessary? The liner doesn't seem that thick. Do all the joists need to be notched or just in the corners where the folds are? What would be the best way to do it at this stage?

Thanks to you and Laz for your quick responses, I want to make sure it is done right.

Jimmy
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Thanks, Jimmy....No, you only need to notch the corners where the pan is folded. You can probably do that with a hammer and wood chisel. The idea is to set up an area where the "fold" can be recessed behind the studs, so that your wallboard sits FLAT in those corner areas. Make sense?

Unread 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
hewhoone

Lazarus,

That does make sense. Thank you.

The next question I have is regarding the preslope mud calculator. As you can see in the picture the drain is not centered and there was a floor joist which prevented me from re-centering easily.

To make the screed level around the perimeter the slope will have to be steeper on the short end. My plan is to stick with 1/4" per foot on the long end and steepen on the short edges as I saw suggested on another thread. Is that the best solution without having to recenter the drain? Or should I consider fudging slightly on the level of the screed/perimeter?

Jimmy
Unread 03-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

That works. Keep the perimeter the same. The area by the drain will have a steeper slope...and that's OK. You can't see it very well, but here's one, a tub to shower conversion where the HO wanted to keep the drain near the end. Steeper slope there....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/06...t=a6fc7dcd.pbw

Unread 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
hewhoone

Laz,

Thanks again for your quick response. Based on the placement it looks like there must have been close to a 1:1 slope but you wouldn't be able to tell from the picture. That's amazing.

I guess I better get to work on that pre-slope. Will post pics when I'm done.

Jimmy
Unread 03-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yep, it was about that, but...being so close to the wall, it's not noticable.....

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
hewhoone

Laz,

Here are the pics I promised. How long do I need to wait before installing the liner? When should it be safe to walk on it?

Jimmy
Attached Images

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Jimmy~~

Looks good! (probably better than need be for a pre-slope...but I digress)

You can do the liner and final slope the next day~~that mud will set up in 12-18 hours.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase