Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-08-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Fred Fahrbach

Grouting ceramic tiles

I am tiling my kitchen backspash using 4X4 ceramic tiles. I am ready to grout and am using ALLSET DRY UNSANDED WALL GROUT with contains no additives. Should I use an Admix such as Custom Acrylic Mortar Admix with this grout or just plain water. If I use the admix,should I use it undiluted or a 50/50 mix with water as recommended at the custom website? Any recommendations would be great appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-08-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
Rob Z

Hi Fred

I used to use the Allset brand grout several years ago when it was available here. It was my favorite brand for unsanded grout.

If you have a Lowe's near you and can buy a container of Laticrete 1776 grout additive, then use that instead of the Custom AMA. The 1776 is made specifically for grout and easier clean up. If you can't get the 1776, use the Custom and definately dilute it as per the ratio Custom lists on the label. ...too much of the latex and the grout will be quite difficult to clean up.
Unread 02-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

What is your grout line width ??

If it is larger than 1/8", you will need the sanded grout. If the grout lines are 1/8" or less, the unsanded grout is fine. In either case, there is no need for the additives. Additives are usually applied to non-modified thinsets.

I'll also caution you on the 50/50 mix. The Custom Brand grouts I use don't require much water at all for the correct consistency. If you add too much water you will find yourself adding more grout than you actually need to thicken it up. Start with a little bit of water and adjust as necessary

Hope this helps,
Jason
Unread 02-08-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
Rob Z

Jason

The brand of grout that Fred is using has no powdered latex in it....thus the need for a liquid additive. the Custom AMA can be used for un modified grouts, but it needs to be diluted with water or else clean up is next to impossible.
Unread 02-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Thx for the info Rob.. Can't say I've ever used such a product.

What's the advantage of a grout with no additive? I haven;t seen any advantage of thinset w/o additve either ...except for cost.

Jason
Unread 02-08-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
Rob Z

Jason

the only advantage would be that grout with no latex would clean up easy. Its performance wouldn't be as good, though.
Unread 02-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
If Todd weren't off in Cabo, he'd have some comments to add.

Heck, I'll add them for him:
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...tain#post49748
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 07:34 PM   #8
Rob Z

I wish Todd were here so I could argue with him .

Fred, if you are still with us, the only thing that a latex additive in your grout will do that is NOT good is make clean up more difficult. Other than that , the use of the proper latex additive will INCREASE all the properties of the cement grout, including water resistance, compressive strength, stain resistance, flexibility, color retention, moisture retention (enhances the cure but does not accelerate it), and reduces or eliminates efflorescence.
Unread 02-08-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Yeah, I might even ship a lap top down to Cabo for Todd. I know he'd love this one.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #10
Fred Fahrbach

Grouting ceramic tiles

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. I'm heading over to Lowes to buy the Latricete 1776 Grout additive.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase