Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 06-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
geetpicker

quitting smoking

Day 2. I'm chewing lots of Nicotine Gum. This is hard...
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Good luck, man! I know I couldn't do it. Fortunately, I never started.
Unread 06-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Good luck to ya, Geet.

I think you been with us long enough to be on a first name basis, no? Please go to the UserCP and enter one in your signature line so it will follow you about.

And do an Advanced Search under smoking. We been here before and we get lotsa support for those who wanna quit. Lotsa quitters hereabouts. Proud ones, too.

Here's an old one to get you started.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
irish tileguy in michigan
Tile Contractor -- S.E. Michigan

good luck to you.
gave them up new years day,been smokeing for 25 years since i was 12. proud to say ive been nicotine free over 5 months, put on about 10 pounds and still think about having one but my mind is much stronger now so im pretty confident about not having one now.

Laticrete Hydroban & Schluter Kerdi shower installs
Custom installation of Tile and stone
irish tileguy in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Onliest' way I'm ever gonna' quit smokin' is to use the patch.... then thinset the d@mn thing over my mouf'.

Do you think modified will work?

Hmmm.... I'd prolly' jest' learn how to suck smoke into some other body orfice.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Congratulations, Steve. We do love our quitters.

But keep payin' attention. As I recall, you ain't completely outa the woods yet.

I think modified would work fine for your project, Dave. Then I'd suggest drillin' a couple holes in your bowdark skull to fit your drug delivery devices. That should take care of the problem, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
kate42
Just a friend

Quote:
Lotsa quitters hereabouts. Proud ones, too
Me included. I quit smoking 10 years ago. At first I tried the patch, but it kept falling off me. After 2 days of frustration trying to get it to stay on me (using tape and getting a rash), I went cold and have not touched another cigarette even with another smoker in the house. Besides the financial gains, my sore throats and cough went away. I did and do feel better. Now if the other smoker in my house would just quit. Imagine how much better I could feel.
You just keep trying. If you really want to quit, it will happen. Don't give up.

"If there is light in the soul,
There will be beauty in the person.
If there is beauty in the person,
There will be harmony in the house.
If there is harmony in the house,
There will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
There will be peace in the world."
~Chinese Proverb
kate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

I've been off the smokes for three years now. I used the patch with great success. I'm told they have a drug to supress the urges also.

Last edited by LGB; 06-13-2007 at 07:18 PM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

My Story

Congrats Geet! As CX said ;Give us a first name. Please!!!

Its good to see a new posting on this subject ,I just quit 90 days ago today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O my God do I feel liberated!
Little back ground, don`t member when I started but I do remember getting caught in the 5th grade w/ two packs .

Been puffin approx 37 yrs Not a real heavy smoker, 1 pack at the most per day , have not smoked in my houses in 28 yrs , most that know me never knew I smoked cause I always kept it away from me when I held it & when I exhaled I blew it away from me.

Now to my quiting story.

Been trying for at least 20 yrs ,Iv`e literately tried EVERYTHING!!!!!! cept going on a deserted island were I couldn`t buy`m. Patch,gum,hypnosis,acupuncture,wellbutrin,nicotine breathers,smokers AA, gosh I think thats it ,O Yea cold turkey and I never quit for more than a few days. So listening to the radio one day this add came on bout this new technique been in Europe for 10-12 yrs w/ a high success rate, called Laser Light Therapy . Then as the days go by listening to the ad over & over i said ;Yea right !!!!!!!!!!!!! another way not to quit ,so I made an appt. If any thing to prove to my self it ain`t gona work.

So the day comes ,Its time! , not spose to smoke 1 hr before session 1 of 2 , so @ 4:32 pm on March 13-07 I threw my last butt on the ground.
I wern`t worried it ain`t gona work any how!!!!!!!!!! So I went in sat down a guy in a white lab coat came out ,said his name was Dr,so & so & would I mind signing some consent form for a FDA sponsored study on this new method of quiting so I said, No Problem ,it ain`t gona work any how
So the method is a laser pen hooked up to some machine & he touches it to your ear lob for a few minutes ,then to the nose area for a few then the wrist for a few. Tells me to drink xxx amount of water & xxx cranberry juice to detoxify my blood & to come back tomorrow for the same & I said fine cause it ain`t gona work anyhow so I`ll need another to prove to myself ,nothings gona work!!!!!!!

Well I don`t know how it works but it does !!!!!!!!!!!! NO withdraw`ll , NO nic fits, NO physical cravings at all. I did have mental cravings but they were so far & few between & only lasted a few moments I hardly remember them.
They treated me for three things (The ear for stop smoking)
( The nose for nerves/the quiting jitters ) ( And the wrist for appetite control)

It was the easiest ,hardest thing I`ve ever done & I`m amazed every day I wake up & don`t smoke & don`t want to smoke . I still have the mental urges a few times a day but they only last a few seconds & there gone. Never lost my cool cause I wanted a smoke & ain`t gained 1 pound ! One real big plus was I didn`t rely on a nicotine replacement to ween me off!!!
All I gota say is if it worked for me ,with the attitude I had going in to it , then its gota work for a heap of other folks .

Just in case anybody !! http://www.advancedlasertherapy.net/

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures

Last edited by lou432; 06-13-2007 at 07:05 PM.
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
geetpicker

Thanks for the replies. I did do a search and read up on some of the other folks stories. Strength in numbers. I posted here and I'm telling everyone I know so that they can all hold me to it.

I love smoking and have been puffing for about 20 years or so. I'm just sick of getting sick several times a year. I'm just getting over my latest round with the flu, lost 2 days work. Not to mention I have a young daughter now as well (10 1/2 months old) - although I never smoked in the house (we rent and live in California, you can't smoke anywhere in California).

Anyway, the name is Brian. I guess the hardest thing for me will be realizing my new identity as a "non-smoker." I'm used to being a smoker, even fighting for smokers rights. Now here I am quitting. It's sad in a strange way.
Unread 06-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hey Brian,

I never smoked a day in my life, but still fight for smokers' rights. Actually, I really fight for property rights. If the owner of a property wants to let people smoke in his establishment, it should be his right to do so. Just because he invites the public in does not make the property any less his own. Well, it shouldn't anyway.

So you can quit the smokes, but you don't have to quit the good fight. Many a good folk are cheering for you.
Unread 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
ha wow funny thing. i dont smoke cigs but smoke a pipe ( legal one) and cigars. I can go a few eeks with out smoking a cigar or pipe.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Bonus

Hey, I quit three months ago, too... course I started again after a month

Goin' through some stuff right now, it's in the plan to try again

What I did for that month was I took the $8 I would have spent on smokes and put it in a can for a tool I want next. Free money, right?
Unread 06-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
Rob Z

All I can say is that I am glad that I never started smoking. With my addictive personality I would easily be a 3-4 pack a day smoker.

Good luck to everyone that is quitting!
Unread 06-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Marge

Wiley and I stopped smoking October 13, 1989.....then, there we were at Candlestick Park for the Bay Area World Series on October 17, 1989...and the 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake hit. We officially stopped smoking February 5, 1990.

We both decided to eliminate "habit" cigarettes and only smoke when we felt like climbing the walls. We went from a couple packs a day to about 5-6 cigarettes a day. Did that for two months and stopped. We changed our daily routine a bit to keep from wanting to smoke at certain times and that really helped.

In the last 17 years I've never really had the urge to smoke again...BUT, when we were in Chicago for Coverings last April I did. It was really weird. Sitting in a piano bar listening to music and having a glass of wine. Got a whiff of smoke and actually had a small craving. Go figure. Never again though. Yuck.

We're pulling for all of you that want to stop. You can't imagine how good you will feel.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase