Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
AdamDH

Send a message via MSN to AdamDH
Newbie Tiler with lots of linoleum and vinyl

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for quite a while now and have finally gotten around to working on my own project. Of course I'm new at this and have tons of questions.

The basics: The house is 40 years old. The layout is square with one I-beam down the center. I have 2x12 joists, 16" on center, and 17' span on each side of the beam. Subfloor is either two sheets of 3/4" plywood, or one 1 1/2" plywood. I would like to tile my kitchen, hallway, and entryway with standard 1x1 ceramic tile.

Is this project even feasable with the above information?

If it is feasable, several obstacles lay in my way. I am guessing the floor material in the kitchen and the hallway is linoleum. I have attached some pictures. I am debating on whether or not to remove the linoleum or just leave it (there may be asbestos). Or should I just cut out the subfloor and start over?

My second obstacle is the entryway. There is the linoleum, two layers of vinyl, and some stick on square vinyl tiles on top of that. I have attached a pitcure of this as well. I have no clue on how to get all of this up or if it is even possible. I am very open for suggestions.

Thanks guys
Adam
Attached Images

AdamDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
floorman1
Floor Layer -- St. Louis

Judging from the deflecto meter you are in good shape for tile.I would tear the vinyl out and get it down to the bare wood,it looks like it was laid directly on the plywood so no luan there.
Get as much of the flooring and plywood out of the entryway as possible,down to the subfloor and start over.Do you have the 2 layers of plywood there as well?If not tell us what you do have and we can tell you which direction to go.
Unread 05-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Adam.

I don't think you have any asbestos, but wear a dust mask anyway. There is really no danger as long as you don't start grinding and cause fibers to become airborne.

I love that thick plywood floor.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
AdamDH

Boy, I love this place. Quick replies and lots of help.

From the first picture (the kitchen) is this vinyl or linoleum? I've always assumed it was linoleum. Either way, how would you recommend getting this stuff up? I've noticed there is a very hard black substance (glue??) underneath. I've attached another photo of the "black stuff" I am refering to.

I am assuming there are two layers of 3/4" plywood in the entryway and hallway (I verified the kitchen does indeed have two layers of 3/4"). I don't have any a/c registers in the hallway so I am not completely sure. But I think the house was built with a 3/4" subfloor, 3/4" oak hardwood on top of that in most rooms, and another sheet of 3/4" ply on the rooms without hardwood to keep everything level. I don't know if they bothered to glue the two sheets of ply together or not.

John, you mentioned you don't think there is asbestos. Just out of curiosity, is there something in the picture to indicate this?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 05-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
AdamDH

Anybody know what this black stuff is and if I'm dealing with vinyl or linoleum?
Unread 05-12-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
bbcamp

Looks like lino. Even if it is vinyl, it doesn't look cushioned.

Take it up with a long handled scraper that has a 4" razor blade. HD and Loews sell them. The black stuff is cutback adhesive. If you plan to install backerboard, there is no need to remove all the adhesive, just enough to make it flat. If you plan to install your tiles directly on the plywood, we need to talk some more.

Wearing a dust mask for this sort of work is a good idea even if there is no asbestos to worry about. Keeping the dust down and blocking off other rooms will help keep the house clean and make your work easier in the long run.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2005, 06:13 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
From here it looks like the actual adhesive is brown or yellowish, and that would indicate vinyl. The "Black stuff" doesn't look black enough to be cutback. It could just be a leveling "float" that was used by the installer.

But tell me again why every bit of this has to come up. Aren't you going to cover the floors with tile?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
AdamDH

I was planning on installing backerboard before tiling. I figured I could use something thin due to the fact that I have 1 1/2" of plywood under there.

I guess I just assumed it all had to come up. Am I making more work for myself that is not really necessary? I thought maybe leaving a lot of the stuff would be too much of a shortcut and I would end up paying for it later.

Thanks guys!

Adam
Unread 05-13-2005, 05:33 AM   #9
bbcamp

Lino can be tiled over (using backerboard, of course) and so can non-cushioned vinyl.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase