Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-03-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
MannyG

Question unmodified vs modified

Hello,

I'm remodeling to bath rooms using marble tile over Kerdi on hardibacker (1/4"flrs - 1/2"walls). The shower flrs are also Schluter kits. I have already purchased unmodified thinset with my tile order. The kerdi was an after thought. I chose Schluter products because of everything that I've read on this forum and from others. Should I use unmod for the kerdi application and is it ok to use the mod for the tiling? Please advise.

MannyG
MannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure they specify modified to hold it down to the plywood subflooring, and unmodified to hold the tile onto it. John B uses Versabond on both sides. The stone may call for something else...one of the pros that does this all the time will fill you in. I used Custom's granite and marble medium set to put up granite over Kerdi and it seemed to work well. The granite I used changes color when it is wet. It took nearly a week for the color to change back to "normal" after thinsetting them onto the Kerdi, but they are solid. Wouldn't want to have to take one off!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Manny,

modified under the kerdi and unmodified over the kerdi. This is per Schluter. Don't use the cheap unmodified, use the premium dry set.

Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
trecile

Why are you using hardibacker? Schluter specifies Kerdi over plain ole drywall. Cheaper and easier to put up. Also easier to apply Kerdi to drywall than hardibacker.
Unread 12-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
bbcamp

Terri, there was a change of plans after the backerboard was installed.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
MannyG

Smile unmodified vs modified

It's a welcome releif whan you get such a quick response, thanks to all. HB is already insatlled so thats were I'm working from (thanks Terri). I called D. Taylor and he advised using unmod "Masrter Blend" (Home Depot) or "KeraBond" (Lowes).

I've got time so I'm not rushing it.

MannyG

Last edited by MannyG; 12-05-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 12-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Manny,

Keep the thin set very loose, almost but not quite runny. Dampen the Hardi-backer with a sponge prior to spreading the thin set. Hardi has a tendency to steal the moisture from the thin set if you don't give it a bit of water. Not wet, now. Just damp.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
MannyG

Smile unmodified vs modified

Well this past weekend I went ahead and applied the Kerdi to the shower stall walls, used TEC Full Flex mod TS. So far it looks like I have a winner. It set up real nice, looks good. Thanks Steven/John, I took your rcommendations "modified under Kerdi/mixed loose". I'm ready to start the tiling will use Master Blend unmod, found it at HD reasonably priced for 50lbs. For the send bathroom I'm just going to put the Kerdi right over the dry wall.

MannyG

Last edited by MannyG; 12-13-2004 at 10:12 AM.
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
MannyG

This site is just chuck full of info. Gotta love it.

Well I know its been a while, but I'm one of those weekend warriors when it comes to tiling at home. So here is the latest.

MannyG
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
rstreet

Manny,

Looking good. That kerdi is fun to install isnt it? I know what you mean about the weekend I've been going at mine for two months.

Interesting concept to use the remaining kerdi tray on top of the bench.

Randy
rstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #11
MannyG

Guys, Gals I have turned the corner on this project, I am ready to start tiling.

Here are some more pics...

MannyG
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
MannyG

Thanks rstreet,

Wastenot want not. I also used cindar bricks/concrete for the curb, and under the bench to give 18" h on the bench. Only had to go two high with the bricks for the curb (14 bricks), the shower 32x60. Used Mason Mix for the bench and curb.

MannyG
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Bluecat6

Drain and Kerdi

I see in the pictures the Kerdi felt laid down prior to drain install. Should the Kerdi be over the large flange of the drain assembly?

I am about to embark on a similar project and have been reading these excellent forums and Tile Your World for the last week.

Thanks
Bluecat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
MannyG

Large flange then Kerdi over it. Go to Schluter.com and watch the video, it will help. the kit comes with the dvd.

MannyG
Unread 01-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
trecile

If you look at the pictures it looks like there is one picture of the Kerdi lying on the floor BEFORE the drain is installed, but the Kerdi doesn't look like it has been adhered with the thinset yet. The 2 pictures above that show the Kerdi adhered to the floor with the drain below.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase