Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
DrewZ

Question ?? Modified vs. Unmodified ??

I'm about to install (well, in a month or so!) a Kerdi shower system and I'm a little confused about which type of thinset mortar to use. Schluter instructions recommend an unmodified and some posts on this site interpret other Schluter instructions as meaning a modified thinset.

I am going to be applying the Schluter sloped pan to plywood and Kerdi membrane to regular sheetrock, the styrofoam pan, and some durarock. Obviously I then will be applying tile to the Kerdi

Questions...

1) Which is the best thinset to use to cover all these applications?

2) Can someone please define the difference between the two thinsets?

Thank you,

Andrew
DrewZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Andrew,

You will need two types of thinset mortars.

1)Modified (meaning with latex additives contained in the powder) to adhere the KERDI to the sheetrock.

2) Unmodifed (meaning no latex additive in the powder) to adhere tile to the KERDI.

Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Andrew,

Modified thin set contains latex/acrylic "polymers" which lend it increased elasticity which in turn makes it a bit more tenacious than regular thin set. It forms a sort of chemical bond in addition to the mechanical bond that traditional cement mortars depend upon.

In any case, Steven has set you straight. For the Kerdi-tray and for attaching the Kerdi membrane I recommend Custom's Versa Bond, which is available at Home Depot. Master Blend is the unmodified "dry set" mortar to use for attaching the tiles to the membrane. I suggest these mortars only because they are good and they are readily available to most people. There are many other products that are just as good.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
DrewZ

Steve and John,

I have to say this website is the best for quick and sound advice. As an avid and experienced weekend warrior I have not found a resource any better than this. I only hope that more sites like this develop around other home improvement topics.

John,

I am off to purchase your book! I borrowed a copy from somebody and felt I should have my own. I really enjoy how detailed it is and the fact that it doesn't get boring. Job well done!

Thank you again for the advice and once my project starts I will post a thread with picture updates of the progress.

Andrew
DrewZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Thanks for buying the book, Drew. It went out this morning, but I think I inscribed it to Andy.

Send it back and I'll change it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase