Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
TCATDI

Tile Around Fireplace

Hello, I want to put some porcelain tiles around a corner fireplace. Some of the drywall has plaster on it. See picture. I read that I should not use thinset to level off the surface. What should I use on the drywall to bring it up to the same level as the plastered area of the drywall? The tiles will go from the side edges of the metal fireplace to the wall intersections on each side (12" wide area), and above the fireplace edge in the same way, between 12" and 16". The tiles are 14 wide x 6.25 high.
Attached Images

Unread 10-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

The drywall looks even with the firebox which is what you want. I would try to scrape down the plaster so that it's even with the firebox and drywall. Then paint some primer over the plaster.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
TCATDI

I took a more careful look, and the firebox surface in some places is almost 1/8" higher than the drywall. In a couple of places along that left side, the drywall is about the same level as the firebox surface. It was new framing, so I don't know why the drywall is not a constant distance from the surface of the firebox. The scraping work would be difficult -- I took a 6" drywall blade to it, and it seems like it would be quite the project to remove all that plaster up to the corners and in the area above the firebox. Thanks for the input!
Unread 10-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
TCATDI

I found at Home Depot Henry 345 Pre-Mixed Patch and Level and Henry 549 Feather Finish. One of those, along with some scraping of plaster where it is too high, should help me get everything evened up and to the same level as the firebox.

Last edited by TCATDI; 10-03-2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added missing words
TCATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

The Feather Finish (549) might be a good choice, but I would not recommend the pre-mixed 345 in that application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
TCATDI

Glad I saw your post before heading to Home Depot. The 345 sounded so convenient. But I'll get the 549 Feather Finish, unless I learn of something better. Thank you.
Unread 10-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
TCATDI

Should I end the tile at the edge of the metal surround? The fireplace dealer said tile could go over the metal frame, and just leave room to get fingers into place to remove screen. I read the thread on this site "Installing Ceramic Tile over black metal Fireplace surround" and it seems to be a complicated matter to tile over the metal surface.

I'm thinking I should have the tiles end just past the edge of the metal, so the gap between drywall and metal is covered.

I'll mask over the metal to protect it from the Henry 549 and from the thinset, when I get that far.
Unread 10-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Would need a wider photo to judge the aesthetics of it, Tom, but I think that's the way I'd do it.

Unread 10-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
TCATDI

Here are three more pictures, including one showing the tile I hope to use. I'm planning to tile that whole surface surrounding the fireplace on that angled wall, below the mantle. I plan to finish the mantle with a board that protrudes about an inch, with a narrow trim board below it, covering the top edge of the tile. The boards would be painted white to match nearby window and baseboard trim.
Attached Images

Unread 10-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'd stick with Post #7.

Unread 10-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
TCATDI

Thank you, CX! I should check this site for discussions about tile saws. Am thinking of buying from Home Depot a Ryobi wet saw. Renting is a good idea except I work slowly and rushing to return by the deadline might cause expensive errors.
Unread 10-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Lots of discussion here about tile saws. Doubt you'll find many good reviews for a Ryobi wet saw, but I don't know what Ryobi has in that line these days. Nor what the price range might be.

In general, I'd say it's like buying any other type of tool; you'll be happier spending enough to get a good one, even if you don't use it professionally.

Unread 10-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #13
fshead

id stay away from a ryobi tile saw as i had bought one and lent it my brother and getting it adjusted and zoned in took hours and there seems to be a lot of
others online saying the same...maybe just rent a good saw
Unread 10-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
mrosspa

Tom:

I was just looking at threads about fireplaces, and found yours. You may have already purchased a tile saw, but I can share my opinions about buying a tile saw.

I bought a tile saw for my bathroom remodel, and it was better for me than to rent a saw. I realize your needs might be different.

1. I could take my time, using a quality tool, and than resell it as nearly new when the job was done.

2. If you buy a good tool, you will never be disappointed by a quality tool.

3. For better or worse, your wife will want you to keep the saw and perform other tile jobs!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase