Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Meekrab

Kerdi-board meets drywall @ outside corner

Working on a shower/bath and I wanted to double check to make sure what I am doing is okay...though maybe a little late if I did screw up. Where the kerdi-board meets the drywall at the corner I took a piece of metal corner bead that has the drywall tape on it and used kerdi-fix to attach it on the kerdi-board side and hot mud on the drywall side.

Assuming that is okay. Do I need to do anything else on the kerdi-board side before I start putting tile up? Like put kerdi-band over the paper on the corner bead? Was planning on using one of the Schluter profiles on the very edge of the corner.

*Don't mind the drywall side. It will be cleaned up/smoothed out before I'm done*

Name:  XF0dz2B.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  28.1 KB
Unread 10-18-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Gozo

Welcome Casey.
I’ve never been a fan of the “stay put by the paper tape” corner beads. In some areas they’re fine, but for me, in an area like that, where it’s subject to all sorts of bumping; I’d nail it to the underlying stud. You still can with a few drywall nails through the metal section. At least through the drywall side. Through the Kerdi side, if you do, Kerdifix over the nails (or drywall screws). It agree with a profile on the edge. Other option could be a bullnose tile (sometimes they’re more than an equivalent length of profile).
Keep the pictures coming!
Unread 10-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Meekrab

Jeff, appreciate the advice.

Here are a few pictures of the floor tile. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I've only done one other tile job in similar sized bathroom at my brother/sister-in-laws house and it's been like 8 years since then, so a little rusty. But that bathroom is still hold up just fine, so I guess I did something right.

A lot of unseen work went into the floor. House is on a pier & beam foundation with 2x6 T&G subfloor. I threw down a 1/2" layer of plywood to stiffen things up, but it still felt too flexy. I basically ended up spending 3 days in the crawl space adding framing (and dealing with plumbing, etc) and it made a huge difference.

I didn't realize till after I filled the waffles on the ditra that I should have used a rubber grout float to scrape off all the excess mortar. But it was a pretty thin layer and a lot of it came off before laying the tile.

Name:  resize4.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  resize3.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  resize2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  reszie1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  28.1 KB