Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
n0083

How to Set Pencil Tile on Outside Corner?

Shower niche is being bordered with pencil tile. The shower wall's tile and the niche's wall tile together form an outside corner. If the shower wall tile stops short of the corner for the back of the pencil to be mortared to the shower wall, then the niche wall tile edge is exposed. If the niche wall tile stops short of the corner and the side of the pencil is mortared into the niche wall, then the pencil isn't going to be as proud of the shower wall as other pencils.

It seems the pencil needs to float in this outside corner. If i mortar the side of the pencil to the side of the shower wall tile and mortar the back of the pencil to the edge of the niche tile, then i don't leave any room for the grout lines and I'm breaking the rule about where two planes meet (especially on such a fragile piece of tile).

Trusting the grout to secure the pencil seems dubious. Silicone caulking seems questionable also. Liquid Nails/Gorilla Glue?

Wondering how the pros defy gravity and set outside corners with pencil tile.

Thanks.
Unread 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
speed51133

a pic would help...

to me it sounds like your wall tile should have been cut to allow the pencil to adhere to whatever wall board/niche material you are using. If you are trying to secure the pencil directly to tile, I don't think that will work so well no matter what you use.

your pencil may be too thin for the kind of tile you are using.
Unread 01-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

Post some pictures. They say thousands of words.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
n0083

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, no pictures to post as this is still in the design phase.
Unread 01-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
speed51133

Do you have the tile or pencil yet??

Post pics.
Unread 01-30-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
n0083

Yes. Tile is 1/4" thick. Pencil is 3/8" wide. Going with 1/8" grout lines. Practiced setting some tile with mortar. The end result is the tile is about 11/32" (just about 3/8"). The width of the pencil is about the width of the mortared tile. I'm thinking that the back of the pencil will be set against the edge of both tiles. The picture is an attempt to draw what I'm thinking. Sorry for the crude drawing. It is an overhead view, looking down on the shower wall and the niche. The white rectangles are the tile, the red is the pencil, the blue is the mortar/thinset, and the green is the grout. There probably will be more mortar than grout...I'll be lucky to get any grout.

Will try to get a digital camera and layout some tile to get a picture.
Attached Images

Unread 01-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
n0083

If the wall tile is cut so that all of the pencil is on the wall, then the tile edge of the niche wall will not be covered by the pencil. The pencil is really only wide enough to cover the mortared tile edge of the niche wall. Working to secure a digital camera (don't judge my lack of techno new age gadgetry)...though I do have a laser level.
Unread 01-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
speed51133

according to your drawing, it looks like the pencil is the red thing. if so, i would cut the tile on the nitche "ceiling" back some and slide the pencil in, so it adheres to the wall.
also, you will have mortar under the tiles, so that changes your drawing some....
Unread 10-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
raungst

I'm having this exact same problem as I plan out my shower niche. I found a pencil tile that I want to use in the same way as the picture above but can't figure out a way to get it attached to the wall. Even if I hold the tile back some, there's not going to be a whole lot of thin set holding the piece on and still having enough room for grout. Is there a good way to do this, or am I trying to use this tile in the wrong way?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase