Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
brnhornt

A newbies first project - Tub Surround

Hi everyone,

Newbie here signing in for the first time....but been lurking for quite a while. I'm in the planning phase of a bathroom remodel I am going to be doing. I'll snap some pictures and upload them tonight or tomorrow, but just wanted to introduce myself as well as to give an overview of what I'll be doing.

I have a 1940s colonial that has small bathroom. I see this as a two stage upgrade. I'm going to rip out the existing crappy fiberglass surround, and tile the tub surround first. With that done, I'll move over and pull the vinyl floor tiles, and subfloor, and then re-tile the floor. I've purchased and read John's book and at this point am excited to get to work.

I know I'm going to run into a lot of questions...but right now my first thoughts are to make sure by wall work is correct. I'm going to strip the surround and the wall behind it down to studs. Next I'm going to frame in a couple of niches along the main side wall of the surround. Next I am planning on installing 1/2" Durock directly to the studs, and in the niche. Tape and thinset that. Next, I'm going to use Redguard to waterproof the whole area. Once that's done, it's tile laying time. Is that "wall schedule" correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, because I'm sure I'll have more questions
Kevin
brnhornt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
DC_INC

I would suggest using vapor barrier before the durock. Don't set the durock right down to the tub surround, leave a 3/16" gap. Then tape and mud mold resistant fiberglass tape into all seams.

Careful with those Niches. I like to slope the shelves down a few degrees for drainage. As well, make sure the tub flange is butted up right against the framework to ensure that the wall is nice and straight and that the durock wont bow.
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Marge

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're off on the right foot. Anymore questions, just post right here in this same thread and we'll do our best to be help.
Unread 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
brnhornt

Thanks for the welcome and advice everyone! I'll have some pictures up in a few days.
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
brnhornt

Hey everyone. Wanted to post a couple of pictures of the "before" stage of my small bathroom that I plan on remodeling. Let me know if you spot any "holy CRAP!" items I see the trickiest part is the lovely curve in the ceiling (that's actually the roof) that I have to deal with. I am going to place tile exactly where the old shower-liner is right now. So the back wall won't be tiled up as high as the side/front walls.

Bathroom1 = View from door looking at the Southwest corner.
Bathroom2 = View from Southeast corner looking Northwest.
Bathroom3 = Close up of the southwest corner showing "the curve"
Bathroom4 = Close up of front wall showing the shower head.

Thanks for looking!
Kevin
Attached Images

Unread 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
brnhornt

Just had a thought. The wall where the niches will go (side wall) is an exterior wall. Does that change anything as far as me trying to build the niches myself, or does that lend itself towards purchasing a pre-made noble niche? I'm just worried that a built niche would put the tile REALLY close to the outside temperature swings.
Unread 01-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
bbcamp

I'd rethink the niche in the exterior wall thing. Too cold where you live to have almost no insulation in an exterior wall. Consider moving the niche to the wall opposite the shower head, or use corner shelves.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
brnhornt

Problem is...the south wall (oposite the shower head) is an exterior wall as well. The only interior wall would be the same wall as the shower head.

I was going to do corner shelves at first...but I can't find any that will match the tile I've selected. Got me thinking that since I'll have the walls down anyway, why not build a niche and use the tile I picked out.

Thanks!
Kevin

I should add...didn't think about it when I was buying the tile...but it did say something along the lines that it's "frost resistant" if that means anything....

Last edited by brnhornt; 01-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
bbcamp

Frame out the corner of the shower to make a niche there, then use the wall tiles to line it.
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
brnhornt

Since the corners are both touching an outside wall...does that really do anything for me? It would still be pretty cold at those spots.
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
bbcamp

You would have the full thickness of insulation behind the niche.
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
brnhornt

Hmmm...I see what you mean. I would only be able to frame in that front corner...since the back has the curved roof line. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I can. Even if I cut the corner all the way up to the tub, it still wouldn't afford me enough space behind to make any usable niche. Thanks for the idea though!
Unread 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Marge

Kevin, another idea might be a shelf along the rear wall or under the shower head.
Attached Images

Unread 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
brnhornt

Thanks Marge...I might have to consider that.

I just got an email from Noble saying that their niche should not be effected and that it does provide an R value of 2.5. Does that change any opinion?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase