Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Posts: 1,226

Kinda related here, maybe NOT for all in this group.

I was wondering your thoughts about if there was a program that could be offered to be able to
"Certify" a remodeling contractor to be able to perform all trades?

Here is my thought. When pulling permits in many towns be me, plumbing and electrical work need to be done by licensed guys.
I am very skilled and capable to perform those and other trades. Because the work would be inspected by the building departments anyway, why couldn't those trades be done by anyone "certified" to do them. I'm only talking residential work

I would be willing to bump up liability insurance to cover myself.

I think this will get a good amount of discussion and I'm guessing, good points pro and con.

pgc555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
John Bridge
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rosanky, Texas
Posts: 67,369
Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
In my view plumbing is not like electrical. Sure, plumbers can and do make a mess, but they very seldom kill anyone. I've done plumbing related to the tile remodel jobs I've done for years. I seldom worked inside a municipality, and in Texas there are no residential inspectors outside the cities. I would never do electrical, though --- always got an electrician.

There are organizations that "certify" remodeling contractors sort of like CTEF certifies tile setters.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him
Jim Farrell Tiler's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dunedin New Zealand
Posts: 1,698
we have guys here in New Zealand called "plumbers" they do plumbing
Jim Farrell Tiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
Kman's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, Ozark Mountains
Posts: 10,145
There's a master mechanical license available that certifies a person to do plumbing, electrical, and HVAC. I don't know what is involved in getting that license.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: oahu
Posts: 13,161
First, ya gotta convince the plumbing & electrical lobbies that its in their interest. Then ya gotta convince the legislators it's worth their time. Good luck with that.

Have you ever, or considered, apprenticing under those tradesman and getting licensed yourself? Would take a few years but worth it's weight in silver.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quick question on remodeling seihugh Tile Forum/Advice Board 6 10-18-2010 08:24 AM
Another remodeling question. xxrice Tile Forum/Advice Board 1 04-11-2007 10:48 AM
Contractors... Avid The Mud Box 13 07-11-2005 06:33 AM
Question about contractors license joe2468 Professionals' Hangout 27 01-31-2004 08:55 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 John Bridge & Associates, LLC