Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 AM   #1
MattOBrien

Floor and Decor as a resource

So, I am new to the forum and I wanted to ask some questions of the pros here.

First off, full disclosure I work as an accessories manager at an Arizona Floor and Decor. Before this, I was a setter for 10 years and helper for 4 before that.

What I want to ask is what do you think are the things F&D are doing or not doing that would help you in your respective business?

Are there products we should be carrying? Are our products priced out of range with other companies?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Matt.

I think Floor and Décor has pretty good pricing overall, and unless you're going to become a full-fledged tile supply store you're doing a pretty good job as is.

Marketing could use some help, though. I don't think there is anyone there who understands internet marketing. They placed an ad with us for six months. I told them they wouldn't realize much in that short a time, and they didn't, so they dropped us.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Matt, Floor and Decor is a great customer for MAPEI and we do a lot to support your efforts. Feel free to have customers contact us if they have product questions at the number below. We also have a website called MAPEIHome that includes project calculators that let a customer (or you!) pull up a project, get step-by-step advice and a list of the right products for their job. If you need any help at all, contact your local MAPEI sales rep or give me a shout.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The guys and gals at Mapei have done a Herculean task of bringing the F&D staff up to speed on their products. Granted there is always room for improvement, but its clear the impact the training efforts have made.

I use F&D as a resource for Mapei products for the extensive color selection which beats the pants off most of the area Pro distributors. Plus they are open after 4 pm.

Hiring staff over the age of 16 with a caring attitude would help. Most of the staff at the 3 Houston area F&D's seem to be trying to do as little as possible and really don't give a cr*p about their jobs, let alone making sure the customers get the best products for their needs. Luckily I don't need their help aside from locating products, but I am sure deer eyed noobs could use more guidance. I've often thought about setting up a booth to answer tile questions a buck a piece, but the mood passes.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
MattOBrien

Hence, why my store hired me.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

By wild coincidence, I'm at a grand opening of a Floor & Decor in Brookfield, WI right now! I like the selections I'm seeing so far and prices look good. Educated help is relatively rare these days and would set one store ahead of another.

Hey, they're giving away a Harley tonight! Hope I win!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Gozo

I'd have to agree with Paul that the staff (at least the sales floor folks) either have no idea what's what, or don't care. I don't think that pricing is an issue (I've bought an assortment of stuff there over the years), but the help and advice are on par with the big box stores - meaning not so hot. I'm in central Virginia, so not pulling from the same job pool as in Texas.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
MattOBrien

As with all things, finding good help is always a problem. As installers, we all want that helper that is hard-working and trainable. We go through alot of frogs before we find our princes. That is where most of our stores are now. We can find people that we think are one or the other, and try to build on what we have.

That being said, the other side is that we, on this forum, are tile nerds. We understand ANSI ratings and look for new products before they hit the stores. We are like the tech geeks that know more about the new computers before the salesmen do. We have to remember that what we think is new and exciting doesn't mean everyone else will. I am as guilty of that as anyone.

I have been fortunate in finding in the store that I'm in that there are trainable people here. In the last year that I have worked here, I have met several people that have become absolute experts in the departments they work in. And, they are willing to share that knowledge. But, its a fine line between sharing knowledge with our customers and confusing them with too many facts.

I will say, I love this company. And, I want to help pass the knowledge I have on to our other associates. I hope to use you all to see over time if that is actually working.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Cain
Cain

I use floor and decor to pick up a bag of thinset or grout now and again.
I love the fact they have 5 registers, I only wish more than one was ever open.
The time saved from driving that extra half hour to my real distributors is completely lost sitting in that line.
Not to mention retail pricing.......yippie.
Oh and my favorite thing is the lady who wants to save more of my time by checking my receipt on the way out.
Can't say how much I love that.

Ahem........sarcasm.
I hate floor and decor.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
MattOBrien

May I suggest you get a pro account. That way you can call in an order and have it paid for and ready to go when you get there. That would correct most of your issues.

As far as retail pricing, we try to keep our prices as low as possible. If you can provide the store with proof you can buy it lower, in most cases, they will price match.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
Cain
Cain

You can suggest, I won't.
The bad taste that store has given me will never be fixed with another bite.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
koihito
No one of consequence.

One just opened 15 minutes from me, which is great because it takes me an hour to get to my nearest distributor.
Selection is great, but the staff knowledge is lacking. I also find the pricing on Schluter is high. I may be able to get price matching if I bring proof, but if I'm driving to Best Tile or Dal I have more options than just Schluter and I'm not going to buy a full set of Schluter products just to get price matching.

No one of consequence...

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Hi Matt. I am not sure if it's been brought up yet. But i will not shop at f&d due to prices. I will not send my customers there due to prices, customer service and or selection.
I don't care what they charge for tile or flooring. I don't pay for it. But charging full price for tools, setting materials, and schluter doesn't cut it. F&d charges more for schluter products than anyone else.

How about a contractor discount like every other flooring store

I am neither clever nor funny

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #14
MattOBrien

I can assure you as far as prices we are the lowest. We send out constant teams to make sure we are not being beaten on price.

The biggest complaint i hear is that the prices are high. But, the truth is, on comparable products we will be cheaper. No offense, but in my years of setting, I cringes everytime I heard Home Depot tile, or even worse, Dal products. Also, bear in mind, I grew up in Muskogee, OK. Dal's largest plant in the states. I should love Dal tile. But, I just can't with what I know.

The reason there are no contractor discounts are because no one gets a discount. Why should you get a special price that a DIY er can't have. Our business model is that you are just as important as your customer.

As far as Schluter, you're right. We are slightly more expensive. Because we have to keep so many in stock. We keep almost every finish and every size on hand. That means corners, and any and all accessories to complete a project.

This isn't a personal attack, but to limit your customers to overpriced options of smaller retailers is only hurting your business in the long run.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:06 AM   #15
MattOBrien

Koihito,

Just show any old receipt. Don't buy a new set. Just show what you have bought previously.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase