Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Mr. Riley

Riley's First Tile Job

Hello, I'm new to the site and new some advice. I'm getting ready to tile my small bathroom floor (4'x6') and need opinions on whether I need to put down ply under the hardie backer. The subfloor is 2x6 TG doug fir and it is SOLID and level as i just finished replacing more than half the floor (see photo). I was planning to just go with 1/2" hardie right on top of the subfloor, with 3/8" ceramic tile on top of that. This will make for a perfect transition into the next room, which is about an inch higher than the subfloor in the bath.

I know the hardie website says to install it on 5/8" ply or 3/4" OSB, but my floor is 1.5 inches thick and should be a good base, right? Not sure if this makes a difference, but the floor joists are 4"x8"s and about 3' on center. Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Riley
Attached Images

Unread 09-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Kman

You really don't need to use 1/2" CBU on the floor. You might get by with 3/8" ply over the top, then Ditra instead of CBU. This would put you at the same height as 1/2" Hardi.

It would be better to use 1/2" ply, and this would put you at only 1/8" or so above the adjacent floor. Having the installation done correctly is the most important. Having the transition at the same height is just a bonus.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Riley.

What Kevin said, 'cept maybe for some of his math.

You really need half-inch plywood over any board floor, even in California. Fella could cheat and use the 3/8ths" but it's tougher to get that to lay flat.

I suspect your joist spacing is closer to 48" on center, but we know that to be suitable for a ceramic tile (but not natural stone) installation with the addition of the plywood.

You could use a thinner CBU over that, or the suggested Ditra, or, for an even thinner substrate, a sheet membrane such as one from the Noble Company.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Mr. Riley

Thanks for the responses. why is 3/8" tough to lay flat?
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

3/8" ply is kinna warp-happy.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Kman

Quote:
What Kevin said, 'cept maybe for some of his math.
So you're saying my Chinese-made calculator is wrong?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Mr. Riley

OK, so is the plywood for support or to provide a smooth surface to apply the mortar and affix the hardie? What are the potential consequences of putting the hardi directly over my 1.5" subfloor?

Thanks,
Riley
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Solid wood expands and contracts far too much and that movement translates into cracking tiles. The hardi needs the stability of plywood under it.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
Mr. Riley

OK, I actually have about 1 and 1/2 inches to work with before I have to cut the bottom of the door off, so I'm going with the 1/2" plywood route followed by 1/4" hardie and then my 3/8" tile. What type of plywood do I look for -- I know i need exterior grade but all I see is stuff like cdx, ac, tongue and groove, etc. Also, will 1 and 5/8" drywall screws be OK to attach the plywood to the subfloor? And what kind of screw spacing do I use?

thanks,
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

You want exterior glue plywood, Riley, with no face grade below C. AC or BC are commonly available grades. Should say EXT or Exposure 1 on the grade stamp (the Grade is the designation of the facial plies).

Do not use sheetrock screws, use some kind of coated deck screws. For half-inch plywood I'd recommend a schedule of 6" on the edges and 8" in the field.

Unread 10-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Mr. Riley

Do I keep the plywood about an 1/8" from the walls, and the same for the hardi? When I tape up the seams between hardiboards, I've heard that I should do that while I'm laying tile. If I do it the the day before, I'm bound to get a build up of mortor along the seams that will create high spots. Any thoughts?
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #12
bbcamp

Check the wall spacing again, Riley. I remember it being 1/4" against walls and other fixed obstructions, and 1/8" between the sheets.

You are correct about taping and mudding the Hardi joints as you tile. Do not get wrapped up in the tile setting and forget the tape, though.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Mr. Riley

Cool Plywood Help

OK, let me preface this by saying that I'm probably overthinking this, but this is my first tile job and I want to do it right the first time.

My bathroom floor measures 52"X71". The long side is from the shower (from where the photo below is taken) to the toilet stub. The subfloor is 2"x6" T&G doug fir. I'm putting in 1/2" plywood and will need two pieces cut to size to cover the floor. I'll use 1/4" hardi on top of that and 3/8" 13"x13" porcelain tiles.

My question is what the orientation of the two pieces of plywood should be. I assume I wouldn't want to have one large piece, say 48"x71", and a small strip to fill in the rest. Assuming I should use two nearly equal size pieces, should the seam run perpendicular to the long side of the room (i.e., from left to right in the photo) or parallel to it (front to back in the photo)? There's one joist in the center of the floor. If the plywood seam should be perpendicular to long side of the room, should one piece of ply extend across the joist location? If so, which side of the floor should have the larger piece of ply -- the one closest to the toilet or the one closest to the shower/sink.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Unread 10-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Riley, it'll help if you'll bookmark this thread and use it for all your project questions so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can change the title to something more generic if you'd like.

On subflooring, you want all plywood panels oriented with the face grain perpendicular to the joist structure for maximum effectiveness.

In your situation, you can avoid having a very narrow strip by simply ripping some off the first sheet such that you have two wider, but not full width sheets for your installation. Make your rip such that the plywood joint falls near the center of one of your floor boards.

[Edit]

Now that I look again, it appears most, or all of the left side inna picher will be covered with cabinet work or/and be in a non-traffic area. Think I'd just use most of one full sheet to cover most of the floor and a narrow strip along that wall.

Last edited by cx; 10-24-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Mr. Riley

Riley's First Tile Job

CX, thanks for the advice. Actually, I haven't sheetrocked the left side yet because we changed our mind from a vanity to a pedistal sink and need the plumber to come back out and adjust the plumbing. But you're right, that left side will have little to no traffic. If I use a thin strip, won't the small strip tend to sink below the large piece of ply a litte when I screw it down?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase