Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
ih8caulk

Chamfering linoleum edges......

So this is not tile but I trust opinions here and specifically I think the idea of what to do with the edges of linoleum can still apply....

Floating floor (LVP) going over mostly concrete...(had to have ground level but done now). A bath + laundry still have linoleum. Laying over, how & where do you like to chamfer edges to make smoothest transition?

(In particular up against my tub, linoleum is lifted in a small spot but still level along the rest. Cut/chamfer just that area or cut the length?? And fill with anything or no worries?? Thx much!!!
Attached Images

Randy's Shower Project 2009
ih8caulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Kman

I would want to cut away an of it that is loose.

But ideally you would remove all layers of flooring so you can see the condition of the subfloor. You certainly wouldn't want to put your new floor over a questionable subfloor.

Will the new flooring have a padding underneath?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
smifwal

I doubt you have linoleum but that is a whole different conversation. Vinyl needs to be pinned down every where it is not under something like base otherwise it curls up. At a cabinet it needs quarter round, at the tub you could silicone to hold it down or use a pvc material quarter round that won't be effected by the water that spills out over the tub when you get out.

I would cut the curled parts out and fill them with floor patch(Ardex feather finish or henry if you are getting it at home depot) or you could tear out all the vinyl if those areas that touch the areas already done or you will have a bump where the two meet

apparently kman types faster than I do
Unread 10-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
ih8caulk

Thanks Kevin and Shawn.

And yes, I’m sure you’re right that it’s vinyl. (Linoleum just rolls off the tongue)

I would certainly cut back any loose stuff. And truth be told that one pick showing the pocket door is kitchen and that was actually all since been removed last week. (Floor grinder decided to yank it and his machines made it cake work)

I was curious how shallow/angled a chamfered edge right at the true end.

And I like the idea of cutting away at the tub (I actually want to cut the whole length back enough that I’m confident the ok’d vinyl is stuck well.

One last thing....as for leaving it, aside from the thicker kitchen vinyl, the approx 20-25 sq ft of toilet area and laundry room are so slight and the vinyl so thin, I do believe laying over those to be fine.

Randy's Shower Project 2009
ih8caulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Kman

That's really up to the manufacturer, as to how much of a tolerance they'll allow for flatness. It's one of the reasons I asked about the padding, as if it's thick enough, it might absorb the difference. But you'd still be better off to get everything at the same level.

Here's my best advice. Go to thefloorpro.com. The vinyl flooring guys there have forgotten more about vinyl than we'll ever know, and they may have some trick that'll help you. They're also very knowledgeable about floating flooring like you'll be installing. And they're good guys, good friends of mine.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase