Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Lucy_Dawg

Color Rite Caulk - Horrible Customer Service

Buyer beware!

I ordered some Color-sil from Color-Rite. I called and spoke with salesperson, and specifically stated I wanted a 100% Silicone, Sanded, Satin (No Sheen), caulk in my grout color. They respresentative told me no problem. I tried to pay immediately, and she said that I must order through online, in which I have to fill out a pdf order form. She instructed me to the pdf download page and then walked me through how to order. On the order form, there is option boxes, smooth, satin, and sanded. She said to check the sanded section. I tried to check both the sanded and satin section, but the .pdf will only allow you to check one box. So I filled out and order as told.

I then proceeded to remove the less than 48 hr old caulk (CBP color match to grout, 100% silicone, NO sand) with a razor blade. I spent several hours doing so, as I wanted it to be perfect, and to have clean surface for the new caulk to adhere to. A week or so later, I received the new Color-Sil caulk, and out of excitement to finish my shower (Havent been able to use since Oct 2018), I applied immediately. I did notice that this caulk had what appeared to be a grease mixed within the caulk. I figured it was some super secret ingredient, that made their caulk far superior (3x the cost of CBP Caulk) and that once it cured, that it would go away. I now know, that that grease looking stuff, was gloss.

My shower looks horrible, as I have matte grout, matte tiles, and caulk line that looks like my 4yr old made it with a glitter pen.

I emailed Color-Rite to explain what had happened, and the representative proceeded to tell me that I got what I ordered, and there was nothing they would do to correct the sitaution. So I called back, and acted like I was a new customer, and explained what I wanted, and the sales rep told me the exact same thing, how to download form, and how to fill out. I then explained that I ordered exactly like this last week, and received a gloss/sanded caulk. She then directed me towards who I assumed was manager, who emailed me and told me to kick rocks. She then proceeded to tell me that there is no way, their rep would have told me to order as I did, and that she could make what I wanted, but it would cost the $60 again, plus a $25 mixing fee. She would do me a solid, and knock off the shipping fee. I am rather appauled, as I called and explained my situation the first time, and was directed by their rep, how to order. I again called, and was told that to order what I was asking, to fill out order form the exact same way again. This manager proceeded to tell me that they have been in business for 35 years, and nothing but good things are ever said about them. Ohh, and by the way, whoever did the caulk job, is more at blame, because the caulk joint is wider than it should be.

So frustrating, as I did exactly what they directed me to, and didnt get what I wanted, what I was told I was going to get. I even called back, and the rep repeated the steps a second time. This company is more worried about not refunding me $60, for what probably costs $10. She then proceeded to tell me how horrible of a job I did with my caulk, knowing I did it myself. Talk about a slap in the face.

I now have to remove the color-sil, and reinstall what I originally had, as according to my wife, it looked a lot better the first time, when I used the CBP color match 100% silicone. Crazy, that I spent 3x as much, and it looks horrible, then the manager ridicules my work. Shame on them.

Dont make the same mistake I did, just use the color match caulk from the grout manufactor, as the color matches better, and is 1/3 of the price.
Unread 01-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
speed51133

Paul, I would like to see pictures.
BTW, the website states the caulk is available in ONE of three finishes. Looks like you wanted sanded, and got sanded. There is no SATIN/Sanded, which is why they wanted to charge you for a custom mixed batch. Also, Sanded is reduced gloss, in comparison to standard. I would be willing to guess they told you it would be lower gloss, and you are simply not happy with how much lower it is. The fact that the gloss is not reduced enough for you may be your fault for not testing it.

Available in three finishes:
Standard - Gloss finish
Satin - Reduced gloss by 60%
Sanded - Textured & reduced gloss finish to match grouts

Last edited by speed51133; 01-24-2020 at 03:21 PM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

I always get the Colorite sanded. It might seem a little glossy at first but it seems to tone down over time especially after it gets a little wear/dirt on it.

I also highly recommend the little tool and the mist spray that they sell. With a little practice, you can get a perfectly sized and shaped caulk bead. Again, mock up a corner with some scrap tiles and practice.
Unread 01-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
Lucy_Dawg

Mike, you are right, at least somewhat. I did receive what I ordered. My problem was, I specifically described what I wanted, satin, sanded, 100% silicone, and the rep directed me on how to order it. She helped me fill out the form. I repeat, specifically told her I was cutting out the 1 day old existing, because it looked glossy. So I ordered it how she told me to, because she works there, and I never ordered from there before, so surely she knew what she was talking about.....

I again, today, called and pretended to be a new customer, and the lady told me the exact same, stepped me through the exact same steps, told me to check the exact same boxes.... Then I transfered to this manager, who proceeded to tell me that basically, I am a liar, and to kick rocks. I dont know who pissed in her cornflakes, but she was pretty dang rude to me. Said, her lady would never do something like that, when she had just done it less than 2 minutes earlier. Then she said that it wouldnt look glossy if the installer had not made such huge caulk gaps, and poor installation. I mean really, why would you tell your customer this, that his project, the only one he has ever done, looks like trash???? I mean come on. Appareantly you have positive relationship with this company, and thats cool, but that lady was rude a heck to me.

Maybe what other poster is saying, that after a little wear, the shine will come off? I dont know, but the lady could have told me that, or literally anything to set my mind to ease, other than, ridicule my caulking abilities.

Also, she did confirm that they can make a satin/sanded, but only by special request, which is exactly what I asked for, and was told I was ordering. I just thinking it was devious, that I was extremely specific in what I wanted, and was assured that is what I was getting, then got the exact opposite, and its my fault, because that is what I ordered. I only ordered that, because the lady told me that is how to order what I was asking for. Now, the rep who took my order, was super friendly and sweet, both times I talked to her.

Last edited by Lucy_Dawg; 01-24-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Lucy_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
speed51133

Well that does sound like a crap situation. But, it's only a time of caulk. Not the end of the world
Unread 01-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Lucy_Dawg

From what I have cut out, the sides, where it adhered to the tile, look fine, and not really glossy, it the open face, and the backs, where the gloss was allowed to wick through, its like it cured a a skin or something? I really think they might have messed up on this batch a little, I dont know why anyone would want it to be sanded (to look like grout) and to have near this much shine to it.
Attached Images

Unread 01-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
speed51133

Honestly, that really doesn't look that bad both the actual cock and your technique. In fact the beat on the walls I think looks pretty good. Ahhh, the phone auto spelling is so good, imma leave it as is
Unread 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
Fast eddie part deux

Pictures look good. Nice job. Enjoy the shower.
Unread 01-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
Lucy_Dawg

Thanks. I tried my best.
Unread 01-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

My biggest complaint with them had always been their shipping charges, Paul. That and the fact that early on you could not order online at all. Never had any "attitude" problem with them at all, evidenced by the fact that I still recommend them.

I don't recall their sanded silicone looking that shiny, but it's been a while and I've slept since then. I recall being rather pleased with the sanded material I purchased and it never even occurred to me to order any both satin and sanded. The sanded I got appeared to me to be closer to a satin base than the shiny clear base.

Next time I have some dinero I don't need I might just order a tube or two just to see if I get what I got in past.

I really am sorry about your experience with them. Had you told them we sent you?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
Lucy_Dawg

Yeah, I told her that they were highly recommended by the John Bridges forum. That is where I found out they make a 100% sanded that would color match my grout.
Unread 01-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That’s disappointing.

Sorry to hear, Paul.

Once I form an opinion about a product or company, whether positive or negative, it usually changes slowly with each new experience or testimonial. But there’s something about your story that resonates and demands my attention. While I’ve recommended and linked to their website a whole bunch in the last 15 years, I think I’m going to put that on pause until further notice.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstein
Once I form an opinion about a product or company, whether positive or negative, it usually changes slowly with each new experience or testimonial. But there’s something about your story that resonates and demands my attention. While I’ve recommended and linked to their website a whole bunch in the last 15 years, I think I’m going to put that on pause until further notice.
I pointed this thread out to the folks there at ColorRite, Kurt. Perhaps we'll get a response.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I miss the old days when I could call Laura and order over the phone

This is the first time I've heard of poor service from the ColorRite. Not their norm from my experience.

I'd be interested in their response.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Their ordering system is a joke. It might have been relevant in the 1980's but, when it's so easy to set up a Shopify store, it makes zero sense to do it they way that they do.

For what it's worth, Mapei's silicones are satin- Mapeisil T. If you found a color in their palette that worked then maybe that's an option.

They are unsanded only and just because it says satin doesn't mean that there still isn't a slight sheen.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase