Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
8ballz73

diagonal on a 30 sq. ft. bathroom

hi everybody new to this site and to tiling. had a couple of questions, i have a 30 sq. ft. bathroom area to tile and the wifey wants it diagonal and the tile she liked only comes in 16 x 16,would it look right going diagonal or would it be better to go squared based on the size of the area? also if i go squared on the floor do i have to go squared on the bathtub surround or can i go diagonal? thanks for any advice!!!!!!
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Abel.

If Mrs. Abel wants it on a diagonal, it will most certainly look best on a diagonal. That's in Tiling 101.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
Like CX said if the wife says diagonal, then go with the flow. Actually a diagonal in a small space and large tiles might just be the way to go, and no you don't have to do the same on the walls as you do on the floor. What you like is what is right.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

No, the floor and walls don't have to be laid in the same orientation. Considering that a diagonal floor is quite a bit less challenging than a on the walls, you might wanna take that into consideration.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
ih8caulk

I 2nd the "what wifey wants, wifey gets" advice! (You wanna eat tonight, right?)

And I also 2nd the mixed lay pattern. I went with diag/straight/diag to break the patterns up and couldn't be happier. Pics of my finished product on page 3 of my sig below!

Randy's Shower Project 2009
ih8caulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
8ballz73

bathtub surround starting point

hi,new here and to tiling,getting prepared to tile a standard bath surround.i'm using 12 x 12 tiles in brick layout on a 8ft ceiling but i believe the measurement from above the tub measures 6' 7". where would be my starting point if i want the pattern to wrap around and also what type of mortar should be used for a beginner like me,thanks
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Tiletim
Lost in the details

Depends, is it a standard tub surround (3 walls)?

Tell us how the surround was built. (from the studs out)

On typical surrounds I start in the middle of the back (long) wall - centered then just wrap my corners to the next wall.

For the height make a story pole or stick - take 3 tiles and lay them on the floor with the grout spacers you want - then lay the stick even with one end of the tile - go the other end of the "stacked" tile and mark that.

now you have a story pole and can figure out you vertical layout but laying the stick on the wall and transferring the marks to the wall.

when you get near the top you will know if you have to adjust the layout downward or not. you want to balance the top and bottom cuts to look the best. This depends on your pattern though.
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
8ballz73

redgard question

preparing a standard 3 wall bath surround for tile and going to be using redgard for water proofing,wanted to know if the screws have to be covered with thinset before redgard cause a few are sticking out a little,i already covered the joints w/tape and thinset.just wanted to make sure i do it right. i had a thread but couldn't find it

thanks
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Shawn Prentice

The screws sticking out might give you trouble setting tiles over it depending on how far. Try to set them. Do you have an impact driver? That'll do it. Or back them out, countersink the hole a bit, then reset.

No need to thinset the screws before redguard. Also, I know the directions say 2 coats for waterproofing, but personally I'd go for 3 just to be sure. You need a pretty good dry mil thickness to get waterproof capability (the thickness of a credit card over the entire surface when dry.)
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

I redgard right over the screws. Like Shawn said, protruding screw heads may give you grief when setting the tile. Get them flat with the board first and you should be good to go.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've combined your three threads here, Able. If you'll bookmark this one with your Favorites and use it for all your project questions it'll help folks see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Like they said, drive in the screws the remainder of the way and waterproof away.

Have you already purchased the RedGard? I ask because I prefer Hydroban for it's cost effectiveness and performance. The RedGard is cheaper, but a gallon ($42) only covers about 35 sq/ft when two coats are applied at the proper thickness...that's not enough for most tub surrounds, so a second gallon is needed and you end up paying $84.

Hydroban is a little more pricey at sixty-something bucks a gallon, but it covers a full 50 sq/ft when two coats are applied at the proper thickness. Provided you don't need more than 50 sq/ft of waterproofing for your surround, Hydroban is a better value...and it sticks much more tenaciously than the RedGard.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
8ballz73

haven't purchased the redgard,i went to home depot after my last post on the way to pick up my daughter from school to get some prices and it's forty something for a gallon and a 3 gallon bucket is $120 something. the sq. ft. i need to tile is about 70 sq. ft. Would it be better to go with hydroban or redgard or is there something else i can use?? by the way i forgot to mention that i put a tile underlyment paper which i think is a moisture barrier that i bought at home depot which i believe it said waterproof on it but can't remember,if that's the case can i get away with not using redgard. i'll double check on the name brand cause i couldn't find it online.... thanks everyone for the input and thanks cx for finding the threads!!!!
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
bbcamp

Abel, it'd help if you could find what you used and where you used it. Waterproofing is much too important to skip or do incorrectly. In the grand scheme of things, $120 is not too much to spend to protect your house from rotting away from your shower.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
8ballz73

completely agree with you bob, the stuff is called aquabar "b" and i used it behind the cbu overlapping the tub lip, i installed it before i found this site and didn't know much of what was needed for tile installation. so do you think the 3 gallon bucket should be enough for the 70 sq. ft.? just searched online and is not a water proof membrane.

Last edited by 8ballz73; 02-05-2010 at 12:24 PM.
8ballz73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase