Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
firstmoon
Ayca

Angry

Wow - you guys are hardcore (and I like it!) In regards to the "grout" that appears to be missing; the one tile that was pictured had to be replaced; since much to our disappointment, they installed one that was not the best tile right by the door where you would see it the most!

I did also find out that the sanding they did was to even out the "uneven-ness" in some areas.

It is unfortunate that despite checking their references, they turned out not to be as good as they were said to be. We didn't even go with the cheapest bidder in hopes that you get what you pay for...in this case, not so much!

The sub-floor is concrete and they used thinset to set the tiles - they are pretty even (except the two that they ended up sanding and re-honing)

They have left the job; although I am still not satisfied with the end result - I need some time to settle down my nerves and think about the next step.
If I need to hire professionals again to re-hone the tile, I don't have the funds to do so in the immediate future! So, for now I am going to let it all cure (since they switched out two tiles) and then apply a water-based sealant until we can afford to get it refinished.

Thank you everyone for your great words of wisdom and advice!
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
firstmoon
Ayca

Here is a picture I took yesterday; showing the same area where they evened out the "white" honed parts, and the blue tape is on the tile that they changed out.
I still see the black ghosting...so upsetting!
Attached Images

Unread 10-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ayca

Stone restoration is not for the weak of heart (or short in the pocket book). What's so frustration about your job is that it's a new installation, and you should not have to be dealing with the current situation at hand. Not too many installation crews have a clew about correcting problems with natural stone, let alone limestone.

Your particular case is difficult to fully direct the next best step without being there in person and do some TESTing. Cameron's suggestion to do a full grind in place is a good suggestion, but without knowing the condition of the grout, or how well the stone is bonded, could bring on additional issues if your restoration person doesn't have extensive knowledge and experience in the trade.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
firstmoon
Ayca

Smile looking a little better

After two days of removing the sealant, applying haze remover; scrubbing until my hands cramped up, it looks a 'little' better.
I am going to seal it next and be done with it.
I agree with Do it right, for a brand new tile installation things did not go as smoothly as they should have.

This forum is wonderful; I wish I would have seeked advice before this whole mess versus after it! Live & Learn I guess...

Again, Thanks everyone!
Regards, Ayca.
Unread 10-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ayca

Glad to hear things are looking better. Be sure to let the floor dry thoroughly before resealing.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
ih8caulk

Quote:
Wow - you guys are hardcore (and I like it!)
You will find that there is typically only 3 ways bad contractors are handled 'round these parts........

#1.) They aren't allowed back in the door.

#2.) They are thrown out on their tail by their belt loops.

#3.) (my personal favorite) You take them bastages and you drag them out the front door by their ankle....dragging them all the way to the back of their own truck. Reach in & grab a long blunt object....(typically a 2 x 4 or the like)....and execute extreme blunt-force trauma on the contractor. Looks something like this......

(a good suggestion is to get your own body completely off of the ground with each swing as illustrated with the smiley)

Typically the contractor will come to the realization that you are displeased with their work and that their services are no longer required.
(take care now, buh-bye then)

Randy's Shower Project 2009
ih8caulk is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase