Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
irvingwashington

Leaving Kerdi temporarily exposed in shower?

Howdy all-

Been lurking here for awhile while I get ready to do my shower and my bath surround. A quick question, with all the other work I'm trying to get done on the renovation, the tiling won't happen anytime soon, but I'm getting tired of taking baths and not showers. I've Kerdi'd everything, so would using the shower without tile over the Kerdi harm it or ruin it before I get a chance to tile it? The Kerdi in this case is only on the bathtub surround, so it would not have any traffic on it.

Thanks,
Z
irvingwashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
well there is a video around of someone showering in a kerdi shower not tiled and it was made by schulter
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Sanjuro82

Don't let anyone have a knife fight in the shower!

Seriously though it will be perfectly fine as long continuity of the kerdi is not damaged or compromised. You will have to clean the kerdi lightly before you tiled though.
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
CountryBumkin

Send a message via ICQ to CountryBumkin
Short answer is No

I'm not a tile pro but I've seen this question asked and answered many times before, so I'll provide the comon response.
The experts say you could use the shower - it's water proof at this stage, but you should not because the soaps and body oils from your showering may contaminate the Kerdi and negatively affect the tile bonding.
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
irvingwashington

Soaps and oils

That was my fear, but if it were cleaned before tiling, and assuming the cleaning didn't remove the fleece off the Kerdi (i.e. no scrubbing it), I can't imagine the thinset not sticking to it... It sticks to everything else, usually when I'm trying to keep it off something Perhaps mold and mildew would be more of a problem if it wasn't obsessively cleaned...

Maybe I'll just get a couple of cheap shower curtains to hang around it to keep as much crap off it as possible...

Z
irvingwashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Hiya Z,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z
Maybe I'll just get a couple of cheap shower curtains to hang around it to keep as much crap off it as possible...
Best idea. They have cheap rolls of clear plastic at HD that would go all the way around your shower.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
ih8caulk

Quote:
well there is a video around of someone showering in a kerdi shower not tiled and it was made by schulter
The absolute BEST part of this sentence, Opie, is that your post (post #2 in this thread) is DIRECTLY and I mean D-I-R-E-C-T-L-Y next to the "Naked Shower" video link on the right side of the page.

Randy's Shower Project 2009
ih8caulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Marge

Z, we've done that many times. Like suggested earlier, just get some decent plastic over it. Don't even need to clean it...just toss and replace until you get the tile up.
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
sandbagger

and make sure there's no direct sun. kerdi doesn't like UV.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase