Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #121
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I'm not quite clear on where you are in your floor. Do you have all the pebbles installed? No grout?

If so I think the prudent thing to do would be to get it cleaned up before grout. Then you can install the grout and not have to worry about the cleaning discoloring it.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #122
Platypus

I'm a little over halfway done setting the pebbles. It's slow going, but from now on I'm going to leave the sheets as intact as possible; they are pretty well-arranged on the sheets already, and it's time consuming to remove them and then just re-set them anyway. But I am doing enough singles to disguise the outlines.

I should be able to finish them this coming weekend. That means that by the time they get their first chance to get cleaned -- before grouting, thanks, TMTI -- it will have been three or perhaps four weeks since the first one was set.

So,

1) What kind of cleaner to use? Did I guess correctly about using acid? Are there really good products at the Orange or Blue Borg, and what are they?

2) Should I seal the tops of the stones again after washing but before grouting?
Unread 06-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #123
Platypus

It's been about nine months since this project was completed. I used Fusion Pro grout in the changes of plane. There is not a single crack, hairline or otherwise, in any of the corners. None. Not even an inch at the very top or any such condition.
Unread 06-22-2020, 04:15 AM   #124
Platypus

Hello!

It has been almost four years to the day, and I wanted to pop back in and give a report on the shower you all helped me build.

Overall, I've had no problems with it. I do wish I had pitched the floor a little more. It drains, but it could stand to drain a bit faster. Another three or four mm at the drain would make all the difference. It would be fine if it were tile, but it is pebbled. Still, I didn't create any pools with the grout. Barely managed that.

Other than that, the thing is a brick. This is what I really wanted to pop in for. I that know I and others had discussed grouting the corners where there is a 90 degree change in plane. Traditional practice has been to use caulk there because it is flexible and handles thermal expansion and movement.

I ignored all of the experts here, and even the mfr. I took a chance and used Custom Fusion grout in the corners.

Why did I feel confident doing this? Because the corners of the stall were built, often out of necessity, with [an abundance of] screws and three or sometimes four 2x4 wall studs, screwed to form massive, over-built "L" shapes. This may be causing other issues in my overall structure of the house because the rest of it flexes a bit, but the corners of this shower are rock solid.

Since I despise the caulk I put in the first tub surround project, I grouted the corners of this shower with Fusion grout. I did use a silicone bead in the corners around the wall-to-ceiling intersection, but everything below that is Fusion.

It is four years later and there is not a single minuscule failure; not one hairline crack, no de-lamination right at the intersecting tile surface, not a single missing chip or flake. It still looks like a new shower. I don't particularly enjoy cleaning the shower, but when I do, I love being able to use a brush in the corners with a gusto that would wreck caulk.

Thank you all for helping me through those two projects years ago. I hope you are all staying well during the Plague Times.
Unread 06-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #125
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Glad your shower is holding up well.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #126
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Great to hear, thanks for checking in!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote