Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #31
chris b

yeah, it was lil' late when I posted last night...
A few more basic images of the 3 walls in question.
The main wall is the focal wall which will have toilet and vanity, etc.
Short wall is the back wall of the shower also door to bathroom
Accent wall is the "shower" wall.

The accent wall tile will be centered and set outward, line up the floor based on the accent wall. (floor done last)

The plan for the main wall, is to start left to right. The right corner is the main focal point as you enter the bathroom so I thought this should be the start point. The thinking is atleast one edge will have a "full tile" - the most seen edge - closet to the vanity and door.

The straight or 45 deg herringbone was chosen by the client - the wife!
The accent tile and floor tile(same)has lines in it, modern design.
Attached Images

Unread 06-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #32
chris b

subway first accent second.

Davy, so the subway ends into the main shower wall where the accent tile becomes the focal point. My CAD layout shows .75"/1" sliver of subway tile at the shower corners. Tolerance could work in my favor though. If I am close I could add a little more back butter on the accent tiles to pull them out? So this was the reason to set the accent tile after the subway tile on the main and short wall.

I plan to set the subway with no spacers - I was able to achieve 1/8 grout line on another subway tile project without using spacers.

Happy fathers day to all of the dads on the forum!
Unread 06-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #33
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Depending on the thinset you use, keeping tile on a wall exactly where you want them can be a problem. Some subway tile have built-in nubs for spacing.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #34
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Chris, could you post a top view showing your floorplan?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #35
chris b

See attached illustration of top view. Purple is the subway location and green is the accent tile location.

My plan is to use custom/versabond white.
Correction. I used 1/16 spacers on my last subway tile install, will do the same for this install. No nubs on Daltile Rittenhouse 3x6 subway

thanks
Attached Images

Unread 07-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #36
chris b

gap between tiles meeting at an inside corner

Hi all, looking to find the minimum gap distance between tiles that meet at an inside corner. My guess 1/16" for expansion/contraction? I have some tiles that are snug and will need to grind out very carefully so I don't pierce the kerdi backing.

thanks in advance.
Unread 07-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #37
chris b

well it happened, I screwed up!

After setting my first row of accent tile on ledger board, I screwed up the layout. I found out 27 hours after laying, so not 5-6 days. Luckily it was only one row about 6 - 10" hex tiles.

I used versabond and it was on pretty good. But was able to get some leverage and peel off but some felt and the kerdi bond to wallboard seperated. So I have small pockets of loose kerdi. I do know no chunks of kerdi came off with the tile but the fuzzy felt did get compromised.

Option 1.
Illustration shows a plan to remove the lower section and replace with new kerdi with 2" overlap. Maybe this is an overkill that is not needed? But i am still concerned about the pillowing pockets.

Option 2.
Leave the kerdi, slit the pocket areas, smooth out the pockets and patch with kerdi band.

Suggestions MUCH appreciated.

Chris
Attached Images

Unread 07-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #38
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Chris, IMO the areas that are now partially or completely devoid of Kerdi fuzz are of more concern. When the fuzz is striped off only the plastic is left and mortar won't stick to the plastic.

I think your idea of removing the Kerdi and replacing it is sound. Get as much of the old mortar off the substrate as possible, maintain a 2" overlap.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #39
chris b

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. A little bit of work but worth knowing I have good bond.

chris
Unread 07-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #40
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Mortar holds onto Kerdi by enveloping the fleece then curing, not by bonding to it, so, no fleece, no bond. Also of note, the standard for this type of sheet is a minimum of 50-psi shear strength, but Kerdi typically tests out at about 75-psi shear. Considering that a good thinset bond to tile can be upwards of 400-psi, the fleece is the weakest point. It's more than enough, but is the weakest link.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #41
chris b

Whats next???

So my walls are tiled. My plan next was to:
1. set the kerdi tray and curb
2. kerdi band all the corners edges etc.
3. fill in my bottom row of tiles in the shower and other tiled walls
4. lay the shower tile(penny rounds)
5. lay the curb marble top and curb sides
6. grout everything - walls, shower floor and curb
7. tiling the bathroom floor is the last, so no wall muck gets on the floor.

So my question, is there a logical reason to grout all the walls BEFORE tiling the shower floor #7?

thanks
Unread 07-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #42
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Chris, the Kerdi tray is easily dented so I would want to stay off of it as much as possible until it's tiled.

My preference would be to tile the shower floor before installing the last row of wall tile. Having the wall tile falling over the floor tile means you have a little more wiggle room with your floor tile cuts. And grouting it before the last row of wall tile goes on will be much easier and complete; you won't worry about keeping grout out of the change of plane joint while also making sure there are no voids.

I'd grout the walls last, and did.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #43
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Usually, I like getting the walls completely done before working on the shower floor, including the grouting. But, it doesn't really matter as long as you protect the shower floor from dropped tools and tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #44
chris b

grout color haze in lighter grout

My project is coming along slowwwww. Nonetheless everything is going as with no major flaws.
I noticeed I have black grout residue from the accent tile black grout onto the white subway tile grout. I forgot to tape off the first section of black grout I applied and cleaned it up as best I could at the time. Now, a few days later i still see a black haze.
My guess is try vinegar and water first, then diluted muriatic acid second option? Any suggestions or dos or donts?

thanks
Attached Images

Unread 08-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #45
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can try the vinegar but I wouldn't try the muriatic acid. You may have to replace the grout in those areas.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase