Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
Lucy_Dawg

Thanks
Unread 01-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Email from Ms. Colbert
Good afternoon Kelly!

Thank you for your concern. You are absolutely correct in that the John bridge Forums have brought a lot of business our way and we will forever be grateful for that. I personally am not set up to reply on the forum. Feel free to share the below response to the thread - as I am sure many are waiting to hear from us.

Color Rite, Inc. would like to publicly say that while we were not able to refund this customer for product he has installed; we did offer to cover all shipping costs should he choose to order the custom silicone he is wanting. Our Order Department has a great system that allows our customers to see exactly what they ordered and what they will be receiving - prior to the order shipping. We encourage everyone to utilize this to ask any questions you may have and to correct or make necessary changes. The request would have been a custom mixed formula and several additional factors would have been involved. None of which were ever discussed and absolutely would have been - being as the requested product would not be available on the shelf. There are many accusations in this thread including that I personally called this gentleman a liar. I assure you that this was never the case. I did mention that the silicone bead in the picture we were provided (only one picture - not the many you see here) was too large and that would amplify the sheen - as there is a larger amount of silicone. This was not said to insult him in any way. I offer an apology to Paul if my words were received in that manner. We do our best to provide excellent customer service and succeed in most cases. As humans ourselves, we understand that we cannot please everyone - all the time. If anyone has any further questions feel free to email me directly at JANUARY@COLORRITEINC.COM. We are very appreciative of the support given by the John Bridge Forum and it's contributors. Thank you

Best regards,
January Colbert
I've encouraged Ms. Colbert to become a member and perhaps participate in this, and perhaps other discussions. I hope that will happen.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #18
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Hi Paul, sorry you had a negative experience when you are so close to wrapping up the project. If you haven't dug out too much grout is it too late to just start using it and see if the sheen damps down a bit over time?

From the pictures it looks like you did a nice job caulking and from the picture here it appears to be top notch craftsmanship all together.

Regardless of how you go with the grout we'd all love to see pictures of the completed project.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
Lucy_Dawg

Thanks Dave. You and RichVT are both correct, the sheen will tone down. Here is what I did to fix this. I cut out all the caulk that went around the floor to wall transition. I spent 5 hours scraping this stuff out, so I will be the first to tell you, if you prepare the surface, and wipe with denatured alcohol then wait 5 mins for it to evaporate, then caulk, this stuff grips amazing well. Almost too good. It's no fun task removing it. Anyways, I wanted to make sure what I put back down, would hold, so I removed all that caulk. Basically by laying my hip on the curb, face to floor, and feet sticking up in air. Ohh my, what a task....

Anyways, fast forward, after getting that out, I started looking at Cor we in the wall, and said screw it, I will leave it. There was what appeared to be a slight discolored smear, along the edges of caulk, so I took razor blade and worked at it, but my tile is matte, so it couldn't get it all, probably why it was there to start with, since squeegee cannot get into those micro pita of the matte tile. I said, well let's try the magic eraser, since it appears to work for everything else. And low and behold, the magic eraser work, but it did more than I was expecting. It actually lifted the sheen the good caulk line as well. I was dumbfounded, and continued to rub with medium pressure, like enough to cause some heat friction, but not enough pressure to peel and roll the caulk out, and sure as the sun came up this morning, all the gloss/sheen disappeared. Maybe what I did is excellerate the "wear time". I don't really know, nor do I really care, the point is, that it now looks exactly like what I wanted and am thrilled. I get wife to come look, and she is like, heck yes, that's awesome. So what are you going to do with the bottom? Ugh
.. I forgot I spent my Saturday cutting out the caulk because it was to glossy, only to find out that a magic eraser is the answers to my prayers. I have to laugh to not get mad that I have cut this stuff out so many times, but whatever. I went ahead and reapplied the rest of the caulk, the color sil, back into the bottom wall transition. Wow, what a chore, but done at last. Only have to apply the sealer, and we in business. Happy wife, happy life.

In saying this, the color sil caulk is good stuff, let me be the first to tell you, it adheres like super glue, is extremely tough, and has great enlongation. I am happy I went with the color sil, because I ended up getting the finish I wanted. However, I really hope 2 things can be learned from this ordeal.

1. Color rite warns customers, that it is glossy looking, until it wears, and a magic eraser scrubbing approx 72hrs after application will get rid of the majority of sheen. I hope they can address this to customers, especially new customers, who know little to nothing about caulk, and what they are really doing. I expected Colorrite to be the authority on this stuff, considering they have 35 years of experience. Maybe they don't deal with a lot of new customers, and their regulars know the deal as Dave and Rich do.

2. For anybody on the John bridges forum, if you have to much sheen, then try magic erasing it. But let it sit a few days,to fully cure, so you don't mess up the caulk line you intend to leave.

Another thing is, when you do the floor to wall line, especially if your stone floor goes under first row or tile, well if you use river rock type floor, there is a lot of gaps and indentions where the grout is. You cannot squeegee this, and expect it to all come off. It then darkens the grout, and looks like a bad lipstick job with a darker ring around the whole floor. I had to get razor blades and scrape the grout, all the way around to get top layer off and to bring back the original color. How I fixed this, is the next time I did it, I out blue tape all the way around, ending directly where the would hit the floor if it was longer. Press the blue tape really good into grooves, then caulk, clean with 90° squeegee, I have these little blue silicon prices with different angles. Either way, one you have laid caulk, the squeegee it, immediately remove blue tape. Then it looks great.

Overall, the product is fine, but it has to weather, or use a magic eraser on it, to remove the sheets that you will get initially. Tape the floor so your transition between floor and wall, look professional.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it, and the wife loves it!!!!

Mods, if there is a way to delete thread, that's fine, or if you want to leave it as a lesson learned, and tips for future users, that's great also. Maybe we could change thread so it doesn't look so harse on Colorrite. I was wrong about their product, it turned out great, but there was still some frustration in the lack of assistance from them when I made a complaint.

Last edited by Lucy_Dawg; 01-26-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Lucy_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #20
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
That's great news Paul, and maybe this thread will help someone in the future.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #21
Kman

Paul, if you'd like to suggest a different thread title, we can change that at any time.

Glad your issues worked out in the end. Sorry you had to use so much elbow grease to get there, but I hope the bead that's there now will last a lifetime.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Glad it worked out, Paul.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase