Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Govinator3

Running bond layout on short wall question

So I'm installing a running bond pattern with 3x6 subway tiles. I have a short, not square, wall section that varies between 25" and 24.5." On the sections that start with a short tile I can do 3.25, 3 full tiles then another 3.25 tile but I'm at a loss for what to do with the rows that would start with a full length tile.

I'm using the Daltile rittenhouse square, which is self spacing. The grout lines are included in the 6" tile length.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 07-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Well, without seeing a pic of which wall you're tiling and the situation at hand, I will say this, you surely don't want to cut a 1/4 inch sliver next to the full tiles. I would look at the opposite end of that row and add 1/8 to that size cut and fudge the other 1/8 within the 3 or 4 grout joints in that row. You can add 1/32 or so to each joint and it'll never be seen. Of course a 1/4 inch cut would stand out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Steve in Denver

If I understand the situation correctly, you have trying to figure out how to deal with the situation where a row starts with a full tile. If the tiles are actually 6" in length (have you measured them yet?) this probably works out just about right for the 24.5" part of the wall (assuming a 1/8" grout line), but works out terribly for the 25" wide section.

1. Wider grout joints - I think this is what Davy was getting at. I might just go wider everywhere, and not just the one row.
2. Start with a partial tile, not a full one.
1.5" - full - full - full - 4.5"
4.5" - full - full - full - 1.5"

I'm assuming an 1/8" grout joint - this would work for the 24.5" wide part. If you are terminating at a wall or other "hard thing" make sure to leave a gap between the last tile and the wall/hard thing.

You obviously may have to alter this to fit your situation.

This way you can grow the tiles on both ends of every row as needed to accommodate the widening.

Last edited by Steve in Denver; 07-18-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Math. Bad.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Govinator3

Thanks for the quick replies guys

I like your second option Steve, my wife really wanted this corner to be full tiles but maybe I can convince her to do the partials.

Sorry I did not mention this before but the tiles self space at 1/16th, and the spacer to spacer length of these tile are 6" on the dot. Meaning 4 tiles covers exactly 24".

Thanks
Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase