Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
pman6

Where's the expiration on my CBP thinset?

I read there was a code on the package of Multiset and Versabond, but I don't think I see it. Is it printed onto the package, or on some sticker?

I last used these bags a little over a year ago. I am going to buy fresh bags for my next project, but I need to know what code to look for.

All I see is a 5 digit code in the back of the bag, but it seems that is the product code, not the expiration date, because it says 52xxx something. But there was no 11 in it, to indicate that it was made in 2011.

There was however, a white small sticker on the top of the bag that said 1126210C

That could mean 262 day of 2011 ?

My versabond also had a white sticker with another long number stamped on it, also something like 1 11149xx.

Anyway, I just used some Multiset to patch some chipped stucco on my house.
It's supposedly expired, but it still sticks. I stored the thinset in a cardboard box for a year, and it's still powdery in the bag.

Last year, I also used 20 year old unsanded grout to do a small patch job, and that grout was still good. It was stored in a tied bag though.

Last edited by pman6; 03-12-2013 at 12:27 AM.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Paul,

I don't know where the date is, but anything a year old is no good. Home Depot sells a lot of thin set. Just make sure you get a fresh sack off the pallet, not one that has been returned. You can tell.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Gary K
Vendor

Paul,

Exactly what John said. If the bag is over a year old, opened or not, I would not trust it. The $15-$30 dollars for a new bag is cheap insurance...

Gary

Gary K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
pman6

Yeah, I don't trust it, so I only use it to patch stucco holes and cracks in my driveway.

It's been over a year since I used a fresh batch of thinset, but
under normal conditions, with thinset mixed to peanut butter texture, after 24 hours of drying, if I re-wet the hardened thinset and rub it with my finger, it should not create loose sandy particles, right?

or does it become sandy because it has not fully cured yet?

Last edited by pman6; 03-12-2013 at 07:03 PM.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase