Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #16
jscozz

https://www.eldoradostone.com/produc...r-trim-stones/

6x8 trim stones around arch and sides, grouted... then ledgestone drystack butted up against it.
Unread 11-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #17
Kman

Close to the top of the arch, you wouldn't have any problem. But those on the sides are going to be almost completely on metal. I was hoping the stone would be big enough that it wouldn't matter so much.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If possible I would adjust the fire box so the cement board bridges across the whole thing, cutting the arch in the cement board. You could have bonding problems sticking directly to the metal since it gets so hot.

I understand the problem with the edges showing. 1/4 inch board would work better and just grout the edge.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
jscozz

Instead of replacing all sides with 1/4" durock, how about I cut the top piece back a few inches, push the PF back 1/4", use 1/4" durock from wood header down to entire FP arch, screw it to wood and FP sheet metal, then tape and mud all joints... I assume that should be good enough, structurally... then I just need to figure out how to hide 1/4" edge of durock around FP...
Unread 11-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I can't see where the metal ends and the sheetrock begins. The less joints in the cement board, the better in my opinion. With only 1/4 inch edge, I'd grout it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 11-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #21
jscozz

I was planning on grouting between the accent stones around the opening anyway, so grouting the gap between accent and board/FP metal will be fine. Hopefully it will last over time.
Unread 11-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, hopefully so. You never know when you have a lot of heat/expansion.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
jscozz

Spoke to Laticrete tech today. They said that 254 Platinum would be best in this situation. Looks like the bond strength is similar to MVIS. They said MVIS is more for outdoor use although it can be used indoor also. But I can't find it anywhere around here. 254 Platinum I can easily get... and it can also be colored.

1) For stacked ledgestone pieces I am using, would I only need 1/4" trowel or should I use 1/2"? I will key into durock then scrape trowel grooves, then back butter each piece before installing also.

2) For installing stone that has a variation in colors, for dying mortar in dry stack, would you normally pick a middle color or darker color to have the gaps between stone be as invisible as possible?

Thanks!
Unread 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #24
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If the back of the stone is flat and smooth, Jeff, I'd go with 1/4", unless the stone manufacturer specifies otherwise.

I'd think you'd want the mortar to be as dark as possible, so that the eye sees as much "nothing" in the gaps.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #25
jscozz

Thanks, again... I decided I will cut some lath to span the bottom few inches of durock and the fireplace metal... screw it together and scratch coat and taper out that area. That should give a good bond and hopefully resist expansion/contraction from heat.

I just had Mendota tell me today that they do NOT recommend durock over top of sealed gas fireplace. They said it can't take the heat... and they recommend hardibacker instead. I have never heard that durock can't be used around sealed gas fireplace. Any truth to this?

I did some searching on USG spec sheets... and I did find a place where it says that durock should not be used in any areas where temperature will exceed 200 deg. ?!?!?!? I can't find a temperature rating for Hardibacker. I chose durock because I saw posts from people that said Hardi sucked up moisture too fast and thinset did not bond as well...
Unread 12-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #26
jscozz

Just does not make sense that they would say durock should not be used around fireplace. I am only putting it in the same places that other combustibles like sheetrock and plywood are allowed... so by saying i can't use durock, they are saying it is less tolerant of heat than plywood and sheetrock (which is paper faced)?
Unread 12-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #27
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The only thing I can imagine that might be of concern is the reinforcing fiberglass mesh that is used to manufacture the Durock panels.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #28
jscozz

Mixing small amounts of colored thinset

I am using Laticrete 254 (white) with PermaColor packs for installing cultured stone around a fireplace... done a lot of tile and floors but first time with stone on a wall... so I will be working slowly. I will only mix just enough thinset to use within an hour. Since the Laticrete color packs get mixed with the water first before the water goes into the 254, is there any issue mixing up the full amount of water for a 50lb bag (4 color packets), and then using only the proper amount of water for the amount of thinset I am mixing up... and storing the water for multiple batches over the course of a day or two? As long as I always mix fixed amount of material and water, color should be consistent, right?

For color... I would appreciate any advice for best thinset color for dry stack ledgestone to make any thinset visible between dry stack stones as invisible as possible. Here is link to stone... and Laticrete color chart.

Click the Charleston color link...
https://www.eldoradostone.com/produc...SAAEgLJR_D_BwE

Laticrete: https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/au...DC51D70B51B8DE

Thank you!
Unread 12-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #29
cx
Moderator emeritus

I don't know why that wouldn't work, Jeff, but I'd recommend you contact Laticrete first to be sure there's not something we're missing.

The 254 sounds like pretty gross overkill for your application, but I'm not paying for it, eh?

What substrate did you decide upon?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2019, 02:51 AM   #30
clifton clowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Since the Laticrete color packs get mixed with the water first before the water goes into the 254, is there any issue mixing up the full amount of water for a 50lb bag (4 color packets), and then using only the proper amount of water for the amount of thinset I am mixing up... and storing the water for multiple batches over the course of a day or two? As long as I always mix fixed amount of material and water, color should be consistent, right?
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=128063

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase