Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
clifton clowers

Anti-Lippage in the corners

Ridgid's Levelmax has a version of their tile leveling system that is placed where four corners meet. Unfortunately they have decided to manufacture these out of unobtanium.

Does anyone know of another system that also doubles as a 4 corner spacer?
Attached Images

Unread 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

FWIW, I wouldn't want to use them anyway. I want to see that intersection to judge what it looks like as I set. Not knowing until I removed the top part would seem like a path to a problem.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Nothing made by Rigid contains unobtanium, Clifton. Homer can order anything with that name on it if they don't have it in stock.

I would be concerned that the "spacer" portions will be contacting different parts of the tiles, some the top, some the bottom.

The top spin-on portion appears to have openings to allow you to see the four tile corners, but just having such a device in the corner would seem to make keeping the grout joint open a problem even if you can partially see the corners as is Peter's valid concern.

Also will leave some plastic between the tiles on the lower contact portion, which may or may not be a problem for grouting.

Think I'd opt for the ones that space on only two sides and purchase more of'em if you need them closer to your corners.

Looks like a knock-off of RTC's Spin Doctor product, which also do not contain unobtanium.

I have never used either product.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You don't need the 4-corner pieces.

I've used the Spin Doctor system. Works well, you'll just end up using a handful of extra posts.

Does the Rigid system come with the little anti-friction disks? If yes, you'll want those. If not, you'll want those.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
HS345
Tile Contractor

I've been using these for some time. They are kinda spendy, and there is a bit of a learning curve, especially with the cross spacers, but I love the system. They have come out with a new pommel cap that allows you to see the joint. Not sure if Contractors Direct is carrying them yet, but it looks like Master Wholesale has them.

https://www.contractorsdirect.com/pr...stem-100-posts

https://www.contractorsdirect.com/PR...em-Linear-Caps

https://www.masterwholesale.com/prog...rst-clear.html
Unread 04-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
clifton clowers

By unobtanium, I meant that I could not get them "today". I did order some, and at least compared to the wedges available at HD, I definitely prefer them. They seem to work better for me, and they definitey break better (some of the sides wedges caused some chipping on the way out).

It is entirely possible that the QEP wedges are just terrible, that other wedges are way better, and I am comparing a Toyota to a Yugo and believing I got a Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Think I'd opt for the ones that space on only two sides and purchase more of'em if you need them closer to your corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
You don't need the 4-corner pieces.

I've used the Spin Doctor system. Works well, you'll just end up using a handful of extra posts.
But I thought I'd post a note on quantity. Obviously not every tile installation can utilize the corner levelers, but assuming that one is installing a grid of tile of n tiles per side, the number corner pieces necessary is (n-1)*(n-1). For a wedge system, assuming a single wedge per intersection, the number is 2*(n)*(n-1).

For a 4 x 4 grid, the difference is (4-1)*(4-1) = 9 versus 2*(4)*(4-1) = 24. In my case, using a grid of about 28 x 28, that's 729 corner levelers versus 1512 edge. at $0.10/per that's $80 in stuff, not to mention the additional time of installing 800 extra pieces, plus the additional 700 corner spacers.
Attached Images

Unread 04-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Clifton.

I share the desire to avoid a system the clips onto the corners for the reasons stated.

As far as alternatives:
Many of the lippage clip systems want two clips on each side (depending on tile size), resulting in a net of 4 clips per additional tile when figured into an “endless” grid. So, you’d need roughly twice as many as you’re thinking ((28 x 28) x 4) - ((28 + 27) x 2) = 3,026 . But...

But let’s step back for a minute and ask a few questions that will weigh the benefits and costs of using the clips in the first place:
1) What size are your tiles?
2) Have you checked several of your tiles for flatness?
3) Have you checked your substrate for flatness and then taken steps to bring it into acceptable industry standards of flatness for your given tile size?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
Snitty

I doubt this solves the issue you're facing, but it's very possible to use the QEP LASH system, available from home depot, to use as a 3-or-4 corner leveler.

This pic is the best I can do to show how I do it. It's certainly not as effective as the products designed for it, but it'll get it done. One tile is missing here, but that kinda helps visualize it.

White is clip, yellow is wedge, orange is popsicle sticks
Attached Images

Unread 04-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
clifton clowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg
1) What size are your tiles?
2) Have you checked several of your tiles for flatness?
3) Have you checked your substrate for flatness and then taken steps to bring it into acceptable industry standards of flatness for your given tile size?
1. Tiles are 6"x6" and 1/2" thick.

2. They are extremely flat, have straight vertical sides, and sharp edges. Normally, I think you could get away without leveling devices on tile of this size, but this tile is pretty unforgiving, and I am an amateur. I find it helpful.

3. Floor is flat and level to within 1/16" over a 22 foot span.
Unread 04-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

With such small tiles and such an outrageously flat substrate, the clips will cause much more grief than they are worth. Use best practices of burning the mortar onto the substrate, combing in a single direction, burning mortar onto the backs of the tiles, and setting the tile. Use the same technique of sliding the tiles back and forth perpendicular to the trowel lines for each tile (this will assist in air being expelled from under the tiles and collapse the mortar ribbons to the same uniform level). And use a straightedge that’s at least a few feet long to continuously check for flatness as you set. A 2x4 that’s been run on a jointer to straighten each edge is a great straightedge to use.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
Mkit82

The corner spacer from Ridgid or the "c" spacer is a waste. The B can do everything the C can do, only better. Because if the C spacer isn't perfectly set when you go to kick it out you'll have tear out on your edges.
Unread 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
G-LEVEL

Qep - new lash 3 and 4 corner

Hello,

new to this site,
but maybe i can be of some assistance. I recently invented a new product line for QEP sold at Home Depot called QEP Lash 3 & 4 corner. I tested this product for years until i perfected it. The 3 & 4 corner Lash is an all in one system with the wedge being attached to the base making the contractors life that much easier. This product will space and align four tiles and still allow the joints to be visible. By using one of these clips in every corner it will save you a lot of time and money. As of right now they're in 220 Home Depots around the country and you can also purchase them on Home Depots website. Give them a try and let me know your feedback on how i can better improve the product. (100% American Made)
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase