Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
SouthLouisiana

Kerdi Board

I am doing a complete bathroom renovation and considering using kerdi board on my shower walls. My shower will be larger at 9’x5’ than the original which was 3’x5’ and is located in the corner of my house. The house is a brick veneer with foam insulation under the brick attached to the studs. The old shower was cultured marble over hardi. It is my understanding that the hardi possible acted as structural sheathing to help strengthen the walls. My question is, by using the kerdi board will I reduce the structural integrity considering it is foam?

Last edited by SouthLouisiana; 02-13-2022 at 08:28 PM.
SouthLouisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I doubt the HardieBacker was installed with any structural intent. It would certainly be a first for me and not what Hardie specifies for their product.

The exterior sheathing or diagonal brace of some kind would be providing shear strength at corner of house.

That's a huge shower. I'd be more concerned about hot water capacity and temperature, but then I like steamy, hot showers.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
makethatkerdistick

By foam under the brick do you mean a continuous layer of foam sheathing on top of the wall sheathing, thus maintaining an air gap between brick veneer and wall system? Or are you saying that spray foam has been injected in that space, potentially reducing drying ability of said space?
Unread 02-15-2022, 06:37 PM   #4
SouthLouisiana

Carbidetooth, I do see diagonal bracing, there is no sheathing except for the 4’x8’ foam board between the studs and the brick. As for the hot water I agree we have a 11gpm tankless water heater. The shower theoretically could use up to 30gpm but will never happen because the the line coming into the house won’t supply. That’s another project for another time. We needed the bathroom first.
Thanks for your help on the hardi question.

Makethatkerdistick, there is 4’x8’ foam sheets about 3/4” thick attached to the studs then air gap then brick.
Unread 02-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
makethatkerdistick

That is great. Must be new construction. It goes a long way in reducing thermal bridging.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase