Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #106
Kiasmama

Well I know it's not a popular thing to do on this forum and I might even get a scolding, but since I've had kitty cat walking around on the shower pan and might have used the curb as a scratching post, I'm actually going to put hydroban on some critical areas, like in the niche, around the linear drain, especially the corners as kerdi didn't do those so well I don't believe, on the curb, in the corners by the bench and probably the bench and the shower pan. I just don't trust the waterproofing on the shower pan.

I used the inner kerdi corners as well as the membrane that was attached to the drain. I also put the kerdi band all the way in the corners that was along the curb and along the other side of the shower pan for extra protection even though I could have stopped a two inches short.

I think I have kerdi everywhere I need it, used inner and outer corner everywhere recommended and put the band everywhere recommended. The hydroban will just be extra insurance. While it might void the warranty, I'll feel better as the bathroom is on the second floor and I really want to make sure it's waterproof. Especially after seeing the cat walking everywhere. I don't need little pin holes everywhere.

Don't scold me too much for combining water proofing.

Having said all that, I didn't think I needed anything besides the kerdi around the drain, the hydroban is just something I'm doing extra.
Unread 03-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #107
Kiasmama

Finally finished all the kerdi today. Will put the Hydroban (please be gentle) on Tuesday. I hope I'm not nearly as sloppy with the tile thinset as I was with this thinset.
Attached Images

Unread 03-10-2022, 06:24 AM   #108
Kiasmama

Passed the water test, will be putting up a ledger board today at some point then starting to tile saturday or sunday. It's exciting.

Question tho, the tiles that will go on the edge of the tile pan, they will have to be cut on an angle at the bottom. How do you figure out that angle? Do you just eyeball it? Trial and error? Can a speed square be used to figure out that angle?

I did buy schluter shower profile R and S to go under the bottom row of tile, which would make it easier on me as all would be level, but I think I might like the look of tile all the way to the pan.

Last edited by Kiasmama; 03-10-2022 at 06:42 AM.
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2022, 10:36 AM   #109
John Smith

Just got done reading this entire thread.

Oof! I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that to get to where you are now. That's certainly an *experience*.

I'm not a professional by any means but I would recommend getting measurements on the walls and figure out your layout on paper prior to wetting any mud. This way you can determine some of the problem points, especially around the niche, before being in the middle of setting.

I ended up having a guy do the interior of the shower (I did the floor because he was just very slow) and he started from the bottom up, aligning with the slope. Which is fine but it left a small row of tile across the top, not ideal as I would have rather had a full field from the top down. But I don't think he thought it out thoroughly first.

Just food for thought. I'm sure the more experienced folks here will keep you going in the right direction.
Unread 03-10-2022, 02:10 PM   #110
Kiasmama

Houston we have a problem

Well the wall isn't as plumb or as square as I would like, but I have no idea what is going on with the bottom tile. We checked everything so often while we were going along, I can't believe we are having an issue. ugh. I did cut it to go with the bottom of the pan and the tile is level. What can I do about that gap? Seems its only the first row.
Attached Images

Unread 03-10-2022, 02:53 PM   #111
PhilWA

I'd lay the floor tile first as well.

My Kerdi edges and particularly corners had some buildup of material that would try to push in the bottom edges of tiles causing to not not want to sit plumb/vertical for wall, or flat/sloped for floor. I cheated on some tiles by shaving or grinding down some of the backsides a bit if the thinset mortar thickness layer wasn't enough to accomodate the buildup. This will weaken the tile, though.
Unread 03-10-2022, 03:46 PM   #112
Kiasmama

Bare corner

Bare corner
Attached Images

Unread 03-10-2022, 06:28 PM   #113
makethatkerdistick

Elle, in one of your recent pictures I see a lot of bubbling of the Kerdi membrane. Are you sure you have good adhesion? When you let your hand slide across it, how many areas sound hollow? That would concern me if there are quite a few spots.
Unread 03-10-2022, 06:50 PM   #114
Kiasmama

that is actually mortar under the kerdi not air. we put too much mortar under. when we pulled it back it didn't look like it was adhering well so we put more mortar on, I think we should have actually taken some off. So the lumps are mortar, not air. It's looks worse than it is I think.
Unread 03-10-2022, 09:30 PM   #115
makethatkerdistick

Oh, I see. Not ideal, but since you are using LFTs, not too much of a problem.
Unread 03-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #116
Kiasmama

First day of tiling done. Took a lot longer than those youtube videos, lol. Happy with the progress and the results. The mosaic was a little tough because I had to put it in separately- line by line so to speak and some of that isn't quite flush, but it's not terrible either. Its certainly acceptable for me. can't wait to keep going.
Attached Images

Unread 03-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #117
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looking good, Elle, the glass accent looks similar to what I used in my master, only different color and size.

I can't quite tell what's going on with the shower ceiling perimeter, but you might consider dealing with that before you install your wall tile much higher.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #118
Kiasmama

that is the water proofing that I put on, hydroban. I only went up so far. Going to put drywall up at the top of the shower.
Unread 03-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #119
lochrie22

Most Accent tiles are a little thinner than the body tile

Try installing in the body tile first then skim coat the accent row about 1/8 shy of the thickness of the accent tile, let it dry and install the the accent. you will find it much easier to get it flush
Unread 03-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #120
Kiasmama

thanks I shall do that on the rest

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase