Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Chu'Wuti

How to remove grout haze from sandstone (!)

Hi, Everyone,

I am posting a question for my husband, who was determined to install sandstone tiles in a bathroom. The tiles are a yellowish-grayish background with blue striations through them.

Then he decided to use a dark reddish-brown grout. You can guess where I'm going . . .

He has mopped multiple times and tried using DuPont Heavy Duty Grout Haze Remover with a big machine with a scrubbing pad, all without success. He isn't ready to give up yet! He asked me to get more the DuPont Product, but the reviews I'm seeing aren't impressive, so I thought I'd ask y'all for suggestions and advice.

I'm attaching photos. Two are of the wall, which has not been grouted yet, so you can see what the tiles should look like. The redder pair of photos are of two different spots on the floor, which has been grouted.

Well, darn, the photos didn't attach. I'll try to add them in a comment.

Help??

Last edited by Chu'Wuti; 01-09-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: photos did not appear
Chu'Wuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Chu'Wuti

Okay, I figured out what I did wrong previously when attempting to upload the photos. Same description as above--first two are of ungrouted tile; last two are of grouted and scrubbed tile.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Kman

Sandy, I sent a private message to someone here that can probably answer your questions (or at least fake it through an naswer better than I can. ).

He usually logs in at night, so just be patient and we'll get you an answer soon.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Chu'Wuti

Hi, KMan! Thanks so much for responding. I have an update:

DH got a floor cleaner machine and scrubbed most of the grout haze away. Now all that remains is along the edges and in corners where the large floor cleaner couldn't reach. He's trying to figure out how to use an abrasive pad on a hand-sized rotary floor polisher . . . I'm probably not explaining this very well.

I know my husband is very invested in completing this job himself; I think it's become a matter of pride at this point!

Sandy
Old 01-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You're explaining it fine, Sandy.

This is a tough situation. Glad he's making progress. He could cut a small square of the giant abrasive pad and go at it in the corners by hand. Sounds like he's got enough determination to make that work.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase