Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Unlisted1429

Master & Hall bath remodel

Hello All ,

I am new to the site so hopefully this is the proper place for this & with my horrible description someone can make sense of this mess

I am remodeling my parents house & my main issue is the 2 upstairs bathroom floors right now. The joist were damgaed, notched, bored in unconventional ways so a fix was in order & now im trying to find the best solution for longevity , cost & decided tile applications.

The floor was horribly out of plane, level with some slight sagging due to the 3" mortar bed, CI tub, shower & tile weights on top of the poorly notched joist.

I am a carpenter by trade & somewhat handyman , however i am very limited on knowledge with bathrooms, tile etc.

I have already sistered the joist, most of them full span on bearing points. 2 i couldnt get into place so they run the full length except are missing 1 bearing point.

The joist are 2x10x14' span to block foundation & center beam. So actual span non beariing is roughly 13' .
14' including them resting on sill plate & steel beam.

I was gonna cut long shims to add to the tops of joists & plane down any high joist . Can anyone tell me if this method is prefered or is a mortar bed more appropriate? Plan was to pin & glue the long shims then screw & glue down 3/4" t&g plywood , then thinset bed, CB & tile. If i do it this way the subfloor will not line up in adjoining rooms . It will be different levels hidden under doors then i should be able to match them with finish floors or just add a transition. Or i can do a mortar bed but still need transitions there

can anyone tell me the deflection or proper span rate for this floor?

2 x 10 x 14' joist 16" on center. Bathroom sizes are roughly 5x10 & 5x8

Here are some pics to show previous notching & bores & then sistered joist

Im putting a tub/shower surround system in hall bath ,w/ tile floor & havnt decided on the shower style yet for master

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Unlisted1429

also to add to this. House was built in 60s but rebuilt in 70s because of tornado damage. Not sure you can see but the subfloor is 1/2" ply with 3/4" pb & very unlevel, out of plane & wavy. Im gonna put carpet in bedrooms & a floating type floor in rest of house . Should i put in the time to tear it all out & put down 3/4" t&g ply or leave it & just get it to plane the best i can?

Thanks All & enjoy the holiday
Jay

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Jay.

Not sure just how this was overlooked for so long and I just now found it by accident. We try not to let that sorta thing happen, but sometimes things slip through the cracks and I apologize on our behalf.

Have you already dealt with the situation (before I write a long post telling you how I'd do it) or is it still ripe for comment?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase