Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
hinton308

Sealing Travertine

Getting ready to build new house that will have approx 3000 sq ft of beige travertine stone in a Versailles pattern. It will be installed over concrete slab with Ditra membrane. What is recommendation for sealing product. I have look at the 2 companies that are sponsors and not sure which of their products is best for application. Also, how often should sealer be reapplied? Is there a commercial product that may be better for this application? Any advice on grout material?
Thank you for your help
Don Hinton
Unread 10-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Don.

Best is in the eyes of the purchaser. Best stone sealing products with which I'm familiar are the StoneTech Professional products now owned by the Laticrete company. I can't testify that those products are still being made by StoneTech, but I know they were for a time after they were bought out by DuPont and then by Laticrete. I'm told now, but not necessarily reliable source, that Laticrete is now actually manufacturing the products. Perhaps Ms. Sharon will stop by and enlighten us.

If your stone is not particularly pourous, I'd recommend the StoneTech Heavy Duty Sealer. If it's particularly pourous, as I'm told some Travertine is, I would recommend the StoneTech Bulletproof.

That presumes both are the same products they were when StoneTech manufactured them.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Hey Don,

Welcome to the forum!

Travertine is a pretty easy to get along with type of stone in regard to sealing. There aren’t many products out there that wont work on travertine.

We have a water based penetrating sealer called UltraCare Penetrating Plus Stone Tile & Grout Sealer that would work well for you from the sounds of it.

With any sealer make sure you work in small areas, apply enough to wet the tile so it can absorb as much as it will take, and be sure to buff off excess promptly to avoid white residues. Of course follow the installation instructions of the sealer selected closely, as they will all vary a bit from product-to product and company to-company.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
I can't testify that those products are still being made by StoneTech, but I know they were for a time after they were bought out by DuPont and then by Laticrete. I'm told now, but not necessarily reliable source, that Laticrete is now actually manufacturing the products. Perhaps Ms. Sharon will stop by and enlighten us.
STONETECH products are manufactured by LATICRETE and have been since the purchase from Dupont in 2014.

If honed we'd suggest STONETECH Bulletproof Sealer. If polished use the STONETECH Heavy Duty Sealer.

Here are some helpful links:
https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/su...18CymId-petuOg

https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/su...rgpF80oqWZGK5c

Last edited by Sharon @ LATICRETE; 10-20-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Sharon @ LATICRETE is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase