Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

I'm going to drop on in here with something that will (hopefully) help you make your decision Mario. In the 4 years of working at MAPEI in Technical, right alongside the Claims Dept. I can tell you Flexcolor CQ scratching a material is not a complaint we really get here. When we do hear about it, it's typically a very soft marble, or stainless steel tile. It would take a very, very soft glass for the aggregate in CQ to scratch, and we have had phenomenal luck with it. That being said, I did use the word aggregate, so yes there is potential for scratching, it's just not all that common.

To remove the scratching variable you could use a standard unsanded cement grout like Keracolor U, but I would either mix it with our Grout Maximizer in place of water, or seal the joints afterward.

Regardless of which grout you use, make sure you are using a brand new grout float that doesn't have any old dried grout on it. I can't tell you how many times I have seen sensitive surfaces scratched with X grout because the installer was using ole' reliable that has seen 100,000 sf plus of grout jobs and is still yet to be retired.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #17
SLMFD44

Thanks, Holden, great information once again, everyone here has been extremely helpful. I'm not going to lie, I got a good deal on the tile and it's only 4mm thick which is another thing that has me concerned that it isn't the strongest of tiles. Great advice, I'll be sure to heed it. I appreciate the reply.
Unread 10-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #18
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You might have a look at "Prism" grout from HD. Formulated to go from an eighth (or less) up to over 1/4"....I see less shrinkage than unsanded...and more "body."

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #19
SLMFD44

Thanks again, all. You've been a big help. Be well.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase