Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
CTDesigner

Dark Grout, White Tile, Poor Craftsmanship

I am working on a project and my client sent me photos of the completed tub alcove. There are a number of issues, but the worst part is the installation around the niche. It just looks really sloppy. The installer has said it's because there is some variation in the sizes of the tiles. I know the dark grout will emphasize any imperfections, and we were expecting some variations in grout lines, but I did not expect the niche to turn out the way it did.

Should a good installer have been able to make this work?
Attached Images

Unread 10-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kate,

In my opinion, even though the might be variations in the tiles they should still line up vertically. I don't like the workmanship either.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The tiles look like they vary in size 1/8 or more. If that's the case, he should have used a wider joint. Was he instructed to use the smallest joint possible?

I think he could have done a better job but he can't perform miracles with out of size tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Mdsims

Looks to me like the installation sequence was screwy. Hard to verify without progress photos, but it appears like someone worked from the outside-in to some extent, pinched themselves tight and ran out of room. Did they set the first course right on the tub or on a ledger? Also, looks like some lippage, especially that first coarse under the niche.
Unread 10-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
CTDesigner

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The installer did not ask for direction on thickness of grout joint, they just did what they wanted, then blamed the tile for the poor results. I always defer to the installer as the expert on what grout joint to use for a particular type of tile. Had he alerted us to the fact that the tile had some irregularities, and as such needed a wider grout joint, we would have accepted that. He just slapped it up, and I did not see if they used a ledger or spacers.

We are having the whole thing re-done.
Unread 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
speed51133

looks like an aesthetic design feature to me.
Unread 10-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
thuffner3

I think the installer should have paid more attention to the horizontal line inside the Niche,.
That being said, we've installed so many variance of Anne Sacks hand made tiles of the 2"x 8", 3" x 12" the irregular edges do not lend themselves to stack bond style layouts. Looking closely at the picture, (only one) I think the guy did a pretty job. Relay the inside. and call it a day.
Bad layout choice.
M2CW

Neil

Her contractor said she could have it installed today.
thuffner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase