Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #61
JWOrl

On the one wall, it needs to be furred out at least 1/2 inch, possibly a tiny bit more, for the board to be in the correct position. And then my boards are .42 inch thick.

The Backer On screws that I have are 1 5/8 inch, which would not allow for at least 3/4 inch of the screw penetrating the stud, with the other added materials in front of the stud...I read that 3/4 inch is the ideal amount.

The next size up is 2 inch Backer On screws. Would these be safe to use? I read on another site that if you have too much penetration beyond 3/4 inch the screws tend to break off, but I don't know if that's really true.
Unread 10-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #62
Kman

I doubt you'll break those screws, but I would have just used regular deck screws of the appropriate length.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #63
JWOrl

thanks Kevin...I didn't realize you could use deck screws for this...you don't like the Backer brand screws?
Unread 10-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #64
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Backer on screws have little nubs under the heads, which helps with counter sinking the screws. I found that running them in, back out, and in again also helps counter sink them. The 2" screws will be fine.

Deck screws will also be fine, long as they are coated. Most, if not all, are.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #65
JWOrl

Thanks Dan...that's a relief.
Unread 10-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #66
JWOrl

I wanted some 1/2 inch X 1.5 inch furring strips that were ideally about 8 feet long...but there was nothing like that in the hardware stores.

I found some that are about 3 feet long...is it acceptable to put more than one furring strip on a single stud, and if so do you but them up hard against each other or leave a small gap, as I did in the photo, to allow for expansion/contraction? Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 10-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #67
Kman

The way you have it is fine just leave about 1/8" gap.

RE your earlier question about the backer on screws, I'm not a big fan of using them with Hardi, since they're a bear to counter-sink. Deck screws are a little easier, but nothing wrong with either one.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #68
JWOrl

OK good to know...I think I've finally got all my tools and materials, ready to start doing something, not just planning.
Unread 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #69
JWOrl

Can someone explain Hardiebacker butt joints to me? The edges of the boards I bought appear to be the same on all sides.

When they refer to a butt joint in this situation are they only talking about where the hardie meets the drywall in the rest of the room? Or something else? Thanks.
Unread 10-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #70
cx
Da Home Builder

They're talking about anyplace two edges abut one another, John. Or where the CBU edge abuts the drywall edge.

And yes, all the edges on the Hardiebacker panels (Fiber/Cement board) are the same, as opposed to the differing edge styles on many CBU and drywall panels.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #71
JWOrl

OK that's good to know. Thanks.
Unread 10-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #72
JWOrl

Do I need to use a laser level for tile positioning on the wall? I've been looking at some online and the price point seems to be pretty high -- over $100 for many of them -- and I'm not sure how much I'd be using the laser again after this project is done. Thanks.
Unread 10-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #73
cx
Da Home Builder

Whole lotta showers were tiled before the advent of the laser level, John, and a whole lot more before such instruments became sufficiently inexpensive for common use. I use mine a lot because I have one. When I don't have it at hand, I find that I still remember how to use a spirit level quite well, but it is a bit slower. That's not much of a problem because I am, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #74
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Also did my entire shower without a laser level, John, just used an assortment of different length bubble levels that I already had, the longest of which is 6.5'.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #75
smifwal

I like CX use one because they are easier/faster you can mark everything all at once and then you can keep track of the rows as you go. I bought mine for that reason. I also use digital levels because my sight is not what it once was ( almost failed the eye test at the DMV a couple of weeks ago) and you can't argue with 0.00. I have a repetitive use for these tools, so I bought them and I am glad I did, it speeds up the day and makes things easier for me. But if you think you will never use it again then I would say don't buy one. But I have found many uses for both in everyday construction not just tile work.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase