Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
jspernc1

drain not level

Putting in a kbrs system with oatey 3 piece drain. I thought I had the drain level before I set the tile basin but somehow it shifted about 1/8 to 3/16 out of level. I am not a tile guy by trade so I don't know if that is significant enough to be a problem. I thought about how to level it. I sanded off the threads of the screw in piece enough to just about get it level. There is a bit of play now. Can someone with tile experience tell me why I should not lock it in with mud, at the proper height and continue on with my floor
Unread 09-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
speed51133

I am not familiar with sanding off threads of a drain to make it level.

Can you describe this better?
Unread 09-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
jspernc1

drain

I simply sanded off the threads to give the screw in piece some play side to side. now its pretty much level and while the threads are not fully supporting the drain piece Iam asking is there a technical reason I am missing as to why I can't lock it in with the mud that is going around the drain housing which is set into the tile basin?The screw in tail piece is still still full length into the housing
Unread 09-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
jspernc1

the mud will be securing the drain screw in piece instead of the threads.
Unread 09-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

Is it okay? Well, it's yours to do with as you please. Nobody will come put you in "tile jail" for it. But I doubt you'll find anyone reputable that'll say that's an acceptable method.

Will it work? I don't know. It might. Might not. The fact is it just probably hasn't been done before, so who really knows?

If it were me, I'd get an inside pipe cutter, remove the existing drain, and spend another $10 to start over. Then I'd not have to worry whether or not it would work.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
jspernc1

so the 1/8 out of level is too much if I just screw it in with a new drain. The only worry I had about that was if there would be a small bit of standing water right at the drain. Kbrs has plenty of slope to get the tile to the drain.
Unread 09-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Your concern is valid. If it would impede flow at drain, I wouldn't consider leaving it as is. Ad hoc solutions are sometimes necessary, but if you decide to proceed it will be harder to unwind later and I doubt you want to look back with the coulda-woulda-shouldas.

There is no level "tolerance" that would answer your question. It's level or it's not.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 09-16-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
jspernc1

I guess I'll have to pick my evil. redoing the drain is not an option. The kbrs basin is in. no way to change it now. Oatey has a drain that that will drain across the full 4 inches. I guess that's what I'm going with. I really don't see why my improvised idea would not work. but I'll live with the 1/8 inch out of level now that I have found the drain cover I'm describing. I don't think any water will stand at the side of the drain.
Attached Images

Unread 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
jspernc1

1/8 inch never seemed so big
Unread 09-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
smifwal

Close enough is never really close enough...
Unread 09-17-2019, 01:48 AM   #11
Kman

Not that it matters now, but I can't help wondering how it shifted so much to make the drain that far out if level, but the basin still fits.

Did the riser shift, or was the drain glued on crooked?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
jspernc1

I really don't know how it shifted or when it shifted. I'm at a point I need to make it work. I don't know why it wouldn't fit if the drain moved 1/8 inch. I had plenty of seal around the drain clamp to apply the shower seal. Can you explain?
Unread 09-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Mdsims

Thoughts on why your drain might be crooked

Disclaimer, I might be an engineer, so this might be read better with a healthy dose of beer.

.................. l
_________ . l
................ U

If that image is the horizontal drain line, p trap and riser: it's pretty common that if the riser isn't perfectly centered with where the pan drain wants to be, pushing the riser left or right to 'fit' will induce a pretty severe 'out of plumb' angle on the riser. The pipe itself doesn't mind moving a little each way, force-wise it's very easy to do with just a finger, but put a level on the riser and you'll see plumb starts wandering fast the more you push the riser. It's leverage.

My guess would be something similar happened to you here. Everything was plumb and flat, riser was pushed over slightly when the pan went down, glued, then the next day the 1/8" tilt was noticed.

The work-around I've used when the pan connection has to be perfect is to
1. be as perfect as possible on laying out the riser, seriously the best plan.
2. leave the connection from the ptrap to the horizontal drain loose (the period in the above picture) until I've dry-fit the pan/drain/riser a few times and know how everything is reacting. You can account for the plumb problem by clocking that trap fitting slightly in the opposite direction of the way you shift the riser.

All this sounds messy, but if the riser needs to shift 3/4" to the right, angle the riser ever so slightly to the left when you glue the trap to the drain line. That little slack helps everything line up.

If you're on a crawl space, and need to get that tilt out, cut the horizontal drain and insert a coupling then reglue, that will relieve some of the twist/strain in the long lever arm. Cut at the 'x' in this image.

................... l
____x_____ . l
.................. U

Last edited by Mdsims; 09-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Mdsims is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
jspernc1

kbrs shower basin

I have installed a shower basin and I have Screwed it up big time. I have never built a shower but everything was good up until I laid the tile in the basin. Unfortunately I did my walls first and thought I would do the floor last . Big mistake on my part. I had some poor adhesion of tiles and I did one of the dumbest things I have ever done and pull the tiles from the pan. Naturally The waterproofing is now messed up. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice on what approach I should take on saving this install. I have places where thinset is stuck to the basin and places where the thinset came up as well as the membrane. I'm really down about the mess I have created. I know about redgard. should I fill in the spots where the thinset came up with new thinset and waterproof. with redgard. also I have some shower seal sealant from kbrs / polyeurethane. Will thinset/ red gard stick to it. Thanks for any advice I may receive I am despreate at this point. I have a nice looking shower installed with a floor I screwed up at the last second.
Unread 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Joe.

Everything is fixable. But we need more info. Could you post a picture or two of what you’ve got there?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase