Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #31
nesc39

Lightbulb

You doing a great job, everything looks awesome. Your preslope is fine it’s never gonna move. Before joint this forum I’ve never seen anyone use a preslope in my life and when suggesting it to guys in the field,in real life they laugh. Of course NO ONE on this forum would ever admit that because then they would lose the respect of doing the MOST possible.

Your ALWAYS gonna have people come in here and say “Oooo yikes. Thats a problem, you might wanna”.....as they run their thumbs behind their suspenders, snap them off their chest and tell you all about how your job is one step above preschool level.

Guys wanna look like experts in front of their peers and they want everyone to believe they are the most qualified. In real life they don’t even do half of what they recommend. These forums are a contest who can be the most ridiculously over engineered. The first post will suggest a simple shovel mix by eye, and liner. The 5th post will have you adding water with a measuring cup, using premixed bags from quikcrete and the walls should be waterproofed 4’ high. By the 30th post, guys will have you calling laticrete for a custom blended mix based on the average relative humidity, adding water with a eye dropper and using a structural engineer on site to take samples of the mix. You will also be waterproofing the shower, the rest of the bathroom, down the stairs and the 4 bedrooms below it.

There is a lot of excellent advice and contractors on this forum and I have learned alot, I still learn everyday. However just because an expert tells you to do something, doesn’t mean it’s the right way and just because it’s the right way doesn’t mean it’s practical for your application. I can cast a shower out of gold and it will never leak, am I the best? Only till Joe Schmo posts below me and casts his out of platinum. Read everyone’s advice and most importantly use your gut feeling and common sense. Your shower is gonna be great
Unread 01-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #32
Dsimms

Thanks.
Unread 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #33
cx
Da Home Builder

Repid, here in the Advice forum we try to give only that advice that complies with product manufacturer's recommendations, building code, tile industry standards, and best practices. If you don't care to help with that sort of advice, please restrict your posting to the Professionals' Hangout or the Mud Box.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #34
Kman

Repid, I went back and looked at the 30th post, which happens to be mine, and all it says is to wait for another day or two.

Hardly anything like, "call laticrete for a custom blended mix based on the average relative humidity, adding water with a eye dropper and using a structural engineer on site to take samples of the mix".

Like CX said, we try to do everything by industry standards and best practices here, based on what we see and what we've been told by the OP. They don't usually come here because everything is going perfectly, but because they either don't know what they need to do, or they're just needing some affirmation about what they're planning.

We don't do them any favors by simply telling them they're doing great if they're not. They're here for our best advice, not blind praise.

And as mentioned before, we want everyone here to adhere to our rules when giving advice in this part of the forum. On the rare occasion that we stray from that, we make that very clear.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #35
Dsimms

Thanks you two. What are y’alls thought on the curb and the possibility that the Mortar might have been too dry?

It formed well left wetness on the tools as they touched. Are they’re anything that I should be looking for as a sign that the curb could possibly fail?
Unread 01-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #36
Kman

If you can knock on it like you were knocking on a door and nothing comes loose, it should be fine. That's the only way I can think of to check it.

For what it's worth, it looks fine in your picture.

Unread 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #37
Dsimms

Thanks
Unread 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #38
cx
Da Home Builder

I'd wrap some polyethylene sheeting over that curb while it cures, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It stated fat mud is different than deck mix because it has lime in it and is mixed wetter. Then in the shower curb section it said to use the same mortar brick layers do but to make the mix stiffer than they do.
No real contradiction there, David. Brick mortar is essentially the same as a Portland/sand mix (deck mud) with lime added. And brick layers generally mix their mortar pretty wet, which is why the recommendation in the Liberry is to cut down the water a bit, but you'll still use more water than for deck mud.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #39
Kman

I think that's where he thought the contradiction was. It means less water than brick mortar, but more than deck mud.

Unread 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #40
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

David, the fat mud on your curb looks fine. It will continue to harden but will never be as hard as your driveway. Nice looking mud job, better than a lot of pros.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #41
makethatkerdistick

Looks good, David. Did you give it a pitch while shaping it? A good pitch will make the tile setting easier. I gave my last curb a 5/16 in drop from one side to the other. If you're going with a frameless shower door, a really nice pitch can save you from having to use a bottom vinyl sweep on your door.
Unread 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #42
Dsimms

Thanks, y’all. I pitched the top with the 1/4 per foot slope.

I’m not sure why but. When I taped my backer board seams and mortared them, they sunk in when they dried creating little pits. I guess maybe I didn’t put enough mortar in the seams? I though I was really packing it in there. But it was also the first time I’ve ever used mortar too.

Should I put another layer over it? I’m not opposed of the extra work if it would be necessary to make it proper.
Unread 01-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #43
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The mortar shrunk as it dried, David, not unusual and happens more if the mortar is mixed wetter than normal. Not an issue for your seams though, and no real need to go over them again at this point, you can skim them again as you set your tile.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2019, 03:21 AM   #44
Dsimms

Thankyou
Unread 01-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #45
Dsimms

I know this post is about 11 years old. But, I’m in the same dilemma. I need to use 1/2” Hardi backer to make my floors level but everything says no thinset on OSB!

What should I do?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase