Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #46
Mikefly

Hi, as stated earlier, the niche is sloped to the wall rather than to the shower. I’m trying to find a solution - either a perfectly sized stainless basket so it sits above the tile, or installing a tile on top of the existing tile to fix the slope. Are there any other solutions I should try? It’s super inconvenient as is.

Thanks,
MT
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #47
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

So the niche is always wet? One idea I had was a white or clear glass tile cut to fit that bottom and sloped properly.
Unread 10-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #48
Mikefly

Hi,

The silicon around the niche is failing 6 months in. Do I need a special silicon suitable for steam? One assumes I should fix this ASAP.

Also there’s a weird white substance at the edge of the tile/start of drywall. It’s textured. Any idea what could cause this? My fear is of course that it’s caused by water.

Photos attached. Both sideways for some reason!
Attached Images

Unread 10-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #49
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
What brand caulking did you use there, Mike? You'll need to remove all that, clean the surfaces with something to remove the residue silicone and other gunk, then re-caulk.

As far as the bleed through on the paint, what was the drywall finished with under the paint? Is that spot accumulating moisture at all?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2019, 05:46 AM   #50
Mikefly

Hey Dan,

Under the tile there is schluter. Under the paint there is cement board. As you move further into the bathroom the cement board becomes green drywall, but this section is cement board.

There is no moisture, but the crumbling continues to build. I brushed it off/smoothed it out a bit and the texture has returned.

I pulled out the pot lights to look at the ceiling and fortunately there is no moisture that I can see up top.
Unread 10-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #51
ss3964spd

The crumbly bit - it's cement board covered with what - drywall compound and then paint or is it covered with thinset mortar and then paint? It almost looks like efflorescence. Is that onna wall or ceiling?

Since silicone caulk don't stick to cured silicone so good ya need to remove and replace all of it, and I'd suggest a different brand than what you have there now.
Unread 10-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #52
Mikefly

Im not 100% sure - I think it was painted directly. Photo before painting.

Photo after painting.

It’s on an exterior wall that has 6mil poly behind it Judging by the baseboard, it seems like the wall may have shifted slightly. Photos attached.
Attached Images

Unread 10-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #53
ss3964spd

Well, if there's no moisture on the surface of that spot when the shower/steamer is being used, then whatever it is it's being driven out from behind.

How long does it take to show up again after you clean it off? Does it show up when you use only the steamer? Have you tried cleaning it off and NOT using the shower or steamer for a while to see if it comes back?
Unread 10-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #54
Mikefly

Agree it is being driven out from behind. I had not thought to see what happens with no shower/steam use. Will give that a whirl and report back. Thank you!
Unread 10-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #55
Mikefly

My wife has a cold so pausing on the steam is not in the cards right now. Ultimately the question is - how serious is it if there is some water coming through the drywall/cement board? Do I need to tear it out to fix it? Cut open the wall and hope I can see what’s happening?

Edit:there are hairline fractures in the grout. Don’t know how relevant this is.

Last edited by Mikefly; 10-31-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Mikefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2019, 06:05 AM   #56
ss3964spd

Don't have a steamer, but do know the positive impact a hot shower can have on ones sinuses.

I think you need to go through the process of elimination, Mike, and certainly before ya start ripping into anything.
Unread 11-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #57
Mikefly

Had a GC come by. He believes it’s because the tile and grout were not sealed. He re-siliconed some seams and sealed the grout. If that doesn’t work, he suggested cutting out the grout and regrouting. IMO the water is not coming from anywhere except the shower. The wall has never leaked and there is no plumbing in that area.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase